• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quality Sound System For Under $200?

Joined
Jun 9, 2004
Messages
928
Disclaimer: I frequent Head-Fi, and know quite a bit about headphones, their amps, etc, but nothing about speakers. So I offer my problem to you here. Thanks.

I've been wanting to get some speakers. After a while, even my HD595s become uncomfortable. Having to shift them around. Small dent in my head. (I'm fine.) Plus I'd just like to listen without anything on my head.

I went to BB to see what they have available, because it's always better to hear something in person than simply rely on reviews. I first saw that they had M-Audio AV30 for sale, but not on demo. The only two on demo that caught my eye were the Klipsch 2.1 and the Logi x540. I started switching back and forth between them, adjusting the volume, playing with the bass on each. To my surprise, it seemed like the x540 sounded better (disregard that it's 2.1 vs 5.1). So now I'm confused. What should I get? I'm open to anything. Is it possible to get the quality of my HD595 for around 150?

Not sure if I want surround sound or not. My room is around 10x12 feet, with a bed, my 4x2.5 computer desk, and a dresser. The table is up against a corner.

I would have bought the Swan D1080MkII 08, but they won't be in stock until May. I have also looked at the AV40 and Behringer's offerings, but I haven't been able to firmly quantify the differences between everything, which has prevented me from buying anything so far.
 
I think it's fairly unlikely that you will find anything matching the fidelity of your 595s in that price range. Headphones have an advantage in that area simply because they are so close to your ears, have a tiny sound environment to fill, and have much smaller speakers to drive.

Typically you're going to have to pay quite a bit more for an equivalent speaker system, fidelity wise.

Nothing can replace a nice set of towers and a sub though. :)

For my computer I loved my Klipsch 2.1s... but they don't compare to my headphones for detail and clarity. When i'm listening to bassy tracks at my PC though, I do prefer listening on the Klipsch just because they have a sub.
 
If you have space, get 2 bookshelf speakers and a receiver.
 
meh... receivers are a total waste for computer setups... Just get a basic amplifier and a pair of "bookshelf" size speakers.

I'd recommend using these passive $25 Dayton speakers

300-652_s.jpg

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-652

with this $95 powered subwoofer

300-631_Si.jpg

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-631&scqty=1

Depending on how much power you need and how much your willing to spend, you could either power the speakers with a mini amp like this one

300-380_s.jpg

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-380&vReviewShow=1

Which will give you 10 watts per channel at .1% THD. This is a little more power per channel than you'd get with the x-540s (which are 7.4 WPC) but it will distort at higher volumes that the sub can handle.

The mini amp is $45 dollars, which would put the total cost of your system at $165 dollars.

This is your first option. However, I would recommend slipping out of your $200 budget and upgrading to this more powerful high quality $95 amplifier:

300-383_s.jpg

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

This thing will give you ultra low distortion (<0.01% THD!) amplification and up to 30 watts of continuous power per channel (enough to up with that sub), AND it was designed to function as a high fidelity headphone amplifier

Think of it as getting a $95 headphone amp for your senns, then spending $120 on speakers. **POOF** now we're within your budget!

Do it.
 
If you're thinking "$25 speaker? That's gotta suck", you can read about what some speaker modders said about them.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?p=1603409

Quote from one of the forum moderators who bought the speakers:
Suprising bottom end for the size enclosure though it doesnt take much volume for the enclosure to really start vibrating. Midrange reminds me of the BR-1's and the treble is very laid back and almost hard to hear sometimes so I don't think they would be very fatiguing. Overall a great buy for the price and would work great for surrounds or backround music
 
Thanks A13X, I got what you suggested (with the dta-100). I'll post my questions, results, and pics once I get everything in.

edit: I was looking around at reviews for everything before I ordered. I saw a one thread about the questionable workmanship in the dta-100, but most things I saw about it were positive.
 
meh... receivers are a total waste for computer setups... Just get a basic amplifier and a pair of "bookshelf" size speakers.


Ew. What you posted is exactly why I would get a receiver. Look at the inputs on both of those. ICKY. :p

They do eat up desk space though and unless you are going to have multiple things hooked in (I usually do, sometimes move the 360 to my desk if someone wants the big screen when I want to game. Also hook up my ipod etc) you might want to follow his advice. I just prefer my receivers. :)
 
If you live in an apartment, more likely than not you spend a lot of time on your computer. I don't see why you wouldn't get something like a receiver. You can in plug all kinds of crap to that and sit at the convenience of your desk.
 
Yeah, a receiver would be nice. However, I don't have many things to plug into it (computer, maybe laptop.) If I want music I'll play it on my computer. But mainly because of I don't have much space on or around my desk.

Plus if the headphone amp is any good, I can just use it for that after I get a receiver.
 
meh... receivers are a total waste for computer setups...

Bass management, multi channel, quality, multiple inputs, power and control. All of which i don't rule out with a computer setup.
 
So I got the sub and speakers in, the amp is still on backorder. I'm thinking of using a few years old receiver that's collecting dust. It says 70w x 5 and 70 watts for the sub. Can I use it? Also, can I put it on top of the sub?

Pics coming soon.
 
So I got the sub and speakers in, the amp is still on backorder. I'm thinking of using a few years old receiver that's collecting dust. It says 70w x 5 and 70 watts for the sub. Can I use it? Also, can I put it on top of the sub?

Pics coming soon.

The receiver will be fine. I wouldn't put it on top of the sub though.

Also, the amp is backordered until June 4th. :(
 
Yeah, if that's the case then I'll have to switch my order for the other ones. I wont even be in the country then, going on vacation. I had a few problems with connecting the sub. First I tried using the RCA cables as passthrough, going first to the sub then to the receiver, but that didn't work. Then i hooked up the sub speaker wire to the high level input, left. Now it's working. There were also some settings in windows 7 that I disabled that were affecting the audio. Namely, turning off all processing through the x-fi control panel, and one option when configuring the speakers in windows--something about full range speakers. They sound pretty good now. I can easily hear the inside of people's mouths.

Now the only problem is space on my desk (receiver AND speakers on here.) Need to find a good, cheap wall mount.
 
Yeah, if that's the case then I'll have to switch my order for the other ones. I wont even be in the country then, going on vacation. I had a few problems with connecting the sub. First I tried using the RCA cables as passthrough, going first to the sub then to the receiver, but that didn't work. Then i hooked up the sub speaker wire to the high level input, left. Now it's working. There were also some settings in windows 7 that I disabled that were affecting the audio. Namely, turning off all processing through the x-fi control panel, and one option when configuring the speakers in windows--something about full range speakers. They sound pretty good now. I can easily hear the inside of people's mouths.

Now the only problem is space on my desk (receiver AND speakers on here.) Need to find a good, cheap wall mount.


Just use regular speaker wire. It should go:

x-fi< - <3.5mm-RCA> - >amp< - <speaker wire x 2> - >subwoofer< - <speaker wire x 2> - >speakers
 
EDIT: Nevermind...looks like the sub alone can't drive the speakers...either that, or 28 AWG just doesn't cut it for driving the speakers.
 
Last edited:
Still not sure whether I should cancel the amp order or not. I don't feel like running the speakers at only 10w. Any cheap reciever options?
 
used receivers can be cheap, just take a look at craigslist or ebay or whatever
 
A used receiver could have been used by a moron. I personally wouldn't buy a second hand receiver unless it was a very high quality one being sold by someone who knows their stuff. The usual applies, make sure their history is good and ask questions.
 
A used receiver could have been used by a moron. I personally wouldn't buy a second hand receiver unless it was a very high quality one being sold by someone who knows their stuff. The usual applies, make sure their history is good and ask questions.

+1 also Audiogon seems to be a semi-trusted site to purchase used from. Also think about factory refurbs of current recievers. Accessories4less has Onkyo refurbs for very decent prices that have most if not all of the functions folks want nowadays (HDMI, lossless audio). Dakmart is also a Denon factory refurb site but the Accessories4less warranty is much better IMO.
 
+1 for accessories4less. I haven't purchased from there but the 1 year warranty on the reconditioned onkyos is nice. Dunno if they offer that same warranty on everything though
 
+1 also Audiogon seems to be a semi-trusted site to purchase used from. Also think about factory refurbs of current recievers. Accessories4less has Onkyo refurbs for very decent prices that have most if not all of the functions folks want nowadays (HDMI, lossless audio). Dakmart is also a Denon factory refurb site but the Accessories4less warranty is much better IMO.

Audiogon has gone downhill since the holding company for Stereophile took over. It was one of the best, but people are selling garbage and running; seems like feedback doesn't even matter anymore. At this point I trust ebay over audiogon.
 
Back
Top