Quality lefty mouse ever?

Rune75

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys (and a few gals, Im sure)...

Anyone in the know out there that has heard about good mices for lefties such as myself? I can use right handed intellimouse but when ya get some fancy new-fangled mouse like the MX700, its just a no-go.

Logitech / MS / Razor etc, take notice: make a great leftie mouse and you will corner this nice lil market.

Umm, you can use Razer's Diamondback,etc and Logitetch's ergonomic MX510, etc.. They work for lefties too. It's just not feasible to actually make a LEFTIE... The total design change would require a manufacturing change, costing them money just to corner a 10 percent or less market.

-J.

jaqie said:
Im a leftie, too and im getting a really cool optical mouse from logitech and its black too! linkie
best part: $12!:eek::D
w00t!!1 Lefties unite ;) Im actually using the same mouse now... Just mine is silver buttons / blue body... Heck, I even took out the old red LED and replaced it with a nice blue one instead =)

Oh, and I'd be concerned about the purpose of the TP on yer desk if you were a guy (but I know you're not) lol

GeForceX said:
Umm, you can use Razer's Diamondback,etc and Logitetch's ergonomic MX510, etc.. They work for lefties too. It's just not feasible to actually make a LEFTIE... The total design change would require a manufacturing change, costing them money just to corner a 10 percent or less market.

-J.
True, there are not many lefties out there, but if ONE company would do it, that company I bet would see dramatic sales thus making it a viable market for one or two vendors.

Rune75 said:
Oh, and I'd be concerned about the purpose of the TP on yer desk if you were a guy (but I know you're not) lol
You went right over my head with that one, but Im not sure i want to know what you are talking about there...

it's cheap cleenexes, I have allergies all the time :( especially to dust and we had just moved in so it was quite dusty with all the moving in / boxes / etc...

If a company was dedicated to only lefties then its' budget would be put into question and their profit margin will be much lower. To spend as much research and time into the engineering and design of a mouse costing millions and to only benefit 10% of how much Logitech/MicroSoft earn through profits? That's not good. It won't let the company last enough, unless they can keep their budgets magically small enough and still pump out good products that can compete with the likes of Logitech and MS...

-J.

I don't think a company producing a left handes mouse would make that much money. A lot of lefties just use the computer "right handed", myself included. I guess I'm pretty used to it by now, I don't think I ever really thought about it. Interestingly enough, I use my left hand when using the eraser head on my laptop. Maybe I'm computer ambidexterous.

-zac

GeForceX said:
. . . . engineering and design of a mouse costing millions . . . .
how the heck much do you think they spend on research again? :eek:
you better go see your doctor and get a huge prescription, cuz you need more then one dose of reality, pal.

Hey Ed, we got a bright one here!:rolleyes:

there is such a thing called a 'niche market'. and they are all over. look at apple for a very easy to see niche market. they can be even more profitable then the normal markets, if you do the stuff right.

If a company such as Logitech were to make a high end mouse for lefties, all the research is already done. The button layout. The contours... Everything is finished. Only thing that needs to be done is making a *mirror version* of the right handed mouse.

Companies that make great mice for right handed people have only to mold the plastic housing in a mirror image. Everything else is essentially the same. Its not like lefties have a sixth finger or something. Yes, if a startup company was to take this on, they would be in a world of hurt IMO doing the standard research that needs done, but that has nothing to do with *left handed only* features.

The Razor DB is for both-hand-use. The MX510/700/900/1000 are just for right hand.
You should check the Logitech and MS product lines I think I saw left hand mice there.
I use MX510 and Icemat black 2nd ed, the mouse is for right hand, the pad, thanx god, is universal :)

Whoooooops, not millions but maybe thousands. Perhaps if Logitech gives away their "patent licensing" to a "leftie" company for a fee, they are able to manufacture a mirrored product (for lefties) without much cost. Surely it would work. :)

-J.

Another problem with marketing a leftie mouse is shelf space. There is already a limited amount of room in the stores. Now a company would be looking at making space for another few packages which may or may not sell. For now, lefties can use an "ambidextrous" mouse like those that have been posted here. As a rightie, I've been using an ambi MS optical for a few years now and haven't had the desire to move to anything specially "suited" for righties. That's just me. Either way, shelf space being at a premium, it's a tough move for PC hardware stores, convincing them to give up their limited shelf space from something that they KNOW will sell to make room for another, similar product that they MAY be able to sell. Or may not. Throw in the confusion caused when righties (dumb as we are :p ) buy up a leftie mouse by mistake... meh, the stores just aren't going to do it, whether or not the product exists. Online maybe, but then it's tough to get broad-market exposure.

I can just see the NewEgg banner now "Hey, lookie! We carry a left-handed mouse!" ;)

jaqie said:

how the heck much do you think they spend on research again? :eek:
you better go see your doctor and get a huge prescription, cuz you need more then one dose of reality, pal.

Hey Ed, we got a bright one here!:rolleyes:

there is such a thing called a 'niche market'. and they are all over. look at apple for a very easy to see niche market. they can be even more profitable then the normal markets, if you do the stuff right.
Ooo, and sassy too! You'll fit right in... :D
Don't forget uber niche markets like Bently, how many people can afford a $300,000 car? Besides the whole $.10/mouse can be made up in a $1.00 increase in costs. Lefties would pay, and likely understand. Mirroring an already sucessful design would be simple. Shelf space would be more of a problem, but only for the retailers. Heck online retailers would love it...

Now the important quesiton, is that a case fan in your desk? :eek:

Phoenix86 said:
Ooo, and sassy too! You'll fit right in... :D
ROTFLMAO! why thank you! i certainly try. :p
Now the important quesiton, is that a case fan in your desk? :eek:
LOLZ yes, actually two of them... case used to have ten SCSI drives in it, and it kicked all the hot air out the back via 3x 39CFM sunon 80MM fans, it started getting a lil toasty back there, and therefore toasty inside the case too, and thats bad. So I used my hole saw to cut a couple holes in the desk I rebuilt from the ground up from a POS falling apart desk I was given (spent a day doing it and then painted it now I can stand on it, its not a POS desk now just ugly) and mounted a couple more sunon 39 CFM 80mm fans there. the guards are cuz im clumsy and if they werent there I'd end up getting a toe or finger chewed off by one of the fans... >_<

Bitchnmoan said:
I can just see the NewEgg banner now "Hey, lookie! We carry a left-handed mouse!" ;)
Actually, wouldn't it be more like "Do you have the huevos to buy this left handed mouse?"
ROTFLMAO :D:p

jaqie said:
LOLZ yes, actually two of them... case used to have ten SCSI drives in it, and it kicked all the hot air out the back via 3x 39CFM sunon 80MM fans, it started getting a lil toasty back there, and therefore toasty inside the case too, and thats bad. So I used my hole saw to cut a couple holes in the desk I rebuilt from the ground up from a POS falling apart desk I was given (spent a day doing it and then painted it now I can stand on it, its not a POS desk now just ugly) and mounted a couple more sunon 39 CFM 80mm fans there. the guards are cuz im clumsy and if they werent there I'd end up getting a toe or finger chewed off by one of the fans... >_<
I'm so e-mailing that to my wife. :D

jaqie said:
LOLZ ok! why? cuz im a jill of all trades?
a lot of lesbians are...
Jill of all trades... :D

It's one thing to be a girl-geek, that's only so rare, it's quite another to mod your desk for better ventilitaion. ;)

edit: pictures are worth a thousand words...

Just... oh my god.

Sassy.

Okay, oh my god.

-J.

P.S. WTF is Ed. Don't use crappy niche quotes.

Back