Quality Fan Controller?

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
So my Sunbeam Rehobuss is really pissing me off.

It works great but looks horrible and the LED's on the front keep me awake at night.

So I started by pulling the blue LED post out of the socket, and this worked ok, but I then came up with the not so great idea to try to paint the damn thing black. I can't stand the white lines and writing all over it. Looks like it was made in china or mexico.

So I can only paint on the grass at my house and well it was a bit too dead to attempt this. I kept getting little particles all over my paint. So after trying to sand and repaint it a number of time it looks like total crap now (unacceptable.) I also tried to paint the LED"s with some semi-transparent grey metalcast and they look horrible now too.

I really don't want to get another fan controller with the same issues, but would like one with the same functions, only LED's that are NOT annoyingly bright and a nice all black face?

Does such a thing exist or will I just need to pickup another sunbeam and live with it?

I have a Vantec NXP-305. But it also has annoying LED lights that I cut out. :mad:

I guess BLING is more important to manufacturers these days than making a product that simply works?

What's your case? Get a sunbeam, detach it, and drill out a stock front panel cover... Just attach it to the stock 5.25" cover. That's what I did.

I hated the LEDs and the writing too!

my case is a cooler master stacker.

Actualy I just decided this will be somewhat fixable, however I'll probably just buy a new one since I can get one for $15 shipped.

I did not realize the buttons were removable! LMAO. I'll just order a second one and pickup some 1200 ohm resistors I guess, sand it down and re-paint. I don't know why my paintjob came out so bad...Perhaps it was the shots then the 6 pack that got me motivated to do some modding LOL.

I use the VL System LIS2 Premium.. 4 auto/manual fan controllers and a VFD readout for anything... pure awesomeness. :)

I use the VL System LIS2 Premium.. 4 auto/manual fan controllers and a VFD readout for anything... pure awesomeness. :)

I use the same thing, it's awesome in the fact that you can customize the software to control the fans for you as things change in your system.

i.e.- Temps above a specific temp, or cpu useage. :cool:

Edit: Link to the VL site

http://www.vlsys.co.kr/

The Vl System looks real nice, so it can display other info as well such as info from MBM5?

Is this the right one? The website and store seems to have differing information. (one says it has to be used with a fan conrolling system and frozen CPU's looks to have a built in fan controller?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...lver_525_Baybus_Blue_Text.html?tl=g34c141s301

The price is a bit steep. Does MBM5 even work on any of the new Motherboard for the new Intels? It is working on my DFI Expert but I may upgrade soon. How bright is the display and is it adjustable in brightness?

The zalman is a bit cheaper but also expensive....

Here's what mine looks like. They must have come out with a new version or something. But yea, it works with Speedfan and it also has its own application that does all the managing. Works perfect under Vista too. =) The brightness of the display is perfect.. it doesn't have a brightness option though.

IMG_0522.jpg

Here's what mine looks like. They must have come out with a new version or something. But yea, it works with Speedfan and it also has its own application that does all the managing. Works perfect under Vista too. =) The brightness of the display is perfect.. it doesn't have a brightness option though.

Can you give me more info? Is just the LCD wired to USB and controlled through Speedfan and/or MBM5? So it uses software to controll the fans? Just making sure it only uses up one drive bay and won't clutter my case too bad.

I just don't understand the difference between your version and this new one? I want to order the right thing the first time. I also want to be sure it will work when I upgrade my Motherboard in the future.

The Matrox Orbital looks nice as well, but I can't find enough info to understand the differences in these units. What are the Fan Headers rated at for example? Will I be able to power 3 120mm L1As off a single header?

Header power is very important, I would hate to burn out a header on such an expensive piece. I don't care as much about MBM showing on the LCD as it shows up on my G15 keyboard LCD anyways...I'm interested though because it should not be as bright as my sunbeam, and can automaticaly adjust the fans with temp (I love that) Can it manualy adjust the fan speeds too?

It takes up one 5.25'' bay, no more. It has a power connector and a USB connector, then you plug in the fans with 3 pin connectors.

Speedfan does the motherboard monitoring in conjunction with the VL System software. Its like a plugin if you want to see it as that. The VL System software controls everything. It does fan speeds based on temperature or based on CPU usage if you want it to, or you can control them manually through the software. Everything display-wise is customizable from temp displays to ip addresses, network usage, art, etc..

It takes up one 5.25'' bay, no more. It has a power connector and a USB connector, then you plug in the fans with 3 pin connectors.

Speedfan does the motherboard monitoring in conjunction with the VL System software. Its like a plugin if you want to see it as that. The VL System software controls everything. It does fan speeds based on temperature or based on CPU usage if you want it to, or you can control them manually through the software. Everything display-wise is customizable from temp displays to ip addresses, network usage, art, etc..

It sounds like it displays similar to my G15 Editor then (I have to have the G15 software open, the G15 MBM5 Adapter, and MBM5 open..So you have to do a bit of "programing" then. Ok, no problem as I am a developer so this would be cake. But how much power can I pull from each header? Will it work with MBM5 or just speedfan? I'd have enough software open in my taskbar notification area. I would hate to add 2 more programs just for the fan controller, one would be acceptable.

BTW you have a nice rig there ^^^

It sounds like it displays similar to my G15 Editor then (I have to have the G15 software open, the G15 MBM5 Adapter, and MBM5 open..So you have to do a bit of "programing" then. Ok, no problem as I am a developer so this would be cake. But how much power can I pull from each header? Will it work with MBM5 or just speedfan? I'd have enough software open in my taskbar notification area. I would hate to add 2 more programs just for the fan controller, one would be acceptable.

BTW you have a nice rig there ^^^

The "programming" is easy and pretty straight forward, just make sure that you install the usb driver that comes with the VLSystems LCD. It controls Speedfan just fine, not sure about MBM5 as I switched myself onces MBM started to lose support.

As for the power draw on a single header, I'm really not sure. There are links on VL's website to the manuals for each device, you may find a max voltage draw in teh specs in that manual.

The Matrix one isn't was customizable as the VLSys one either FYI, so I'd go with the LIS2 for sure.

You must have a TON of case fans if you need to run 3x120mm fans off one header though lol! Maybe you should buy 2!!!!!!! :eek:

I've also been through a ton of fan controllers in the past and once I got this one, I've never looked back, best controller on the market, despite the price, imho. :D

Well Thermochilla PA 120.3 was the reason I wanted to put 3 fans on one, then one for HD and top of case and one for exhaust (another 120mm fan)

Finaly have custom lighting.

basicaly it is 2 Luxeon III Royal Blue LED's and a LM317T for current regulation. It drops all excess power as heat.

So the LED's are about 3 watts each @ 1 amp but I have the regulator set around 750ma. So Assuming they are 3V each and I have 2 of them lighting my case insainly bright, then thats 6V since they are in series so the regulator would have to drop (12v-6v), 6V*750ma = 4.5 watts of power (quite a bit). However I planned to keep the voltage lower with my Sunbeam, so I figured that at full power up untill the RED LED kicked on the I would not get any adjustment in brightness untill below about 6-7V the LED's would dim.

For some reason though my circuit works PERFECT with the fan controller, as the LED's are fully dimable from turned up all the way to off. So they are getting about 750ma with the fan on high, but the power drops as soon as I start turning the knob down, meaning the regulator should not be disipating much heat at all, and making this setup compleatly kick ass (WAY BETTER THAN CATHODES).

I'm concerned this $100 fanbus could not cope with say 14 watts of power (worst case senario) on one header. Luckily My Sunbeam does not have to either (It must have some kind of circuitry that is causing this strage but awesome behavior with my LM317T (current / voltage resistor) Almost like it can somehow communicate with the LM317T chip)

Of course with this fan controller I would have to dimm my case lights through software, and could set the voltage lower to start with (no sense in disipating heat)

I have a hardcano 13 on my setup and while it's fairly old, it does everything i need it to and looks good imho. (Plus i like how you can change the color of the lcd display to suit your tastes). Have to reinstall the connections tho since i just upgraded tho.

as far as i can tell the "iguard" is made by scythe, but is not going to be available in north america

It is not made by scythe. Scythe is just one of the distributers that repackage this item.
It was avable in N. America for a very short period of time. Now they are all gone and you must pay $60-70 from Japan including shipping to overseas. :eek:

It is not made by scythe. Scythe is just one of the distributers that repackage this item.
It was avable in N. America for a very short period of time. Now they are all gone and you must pay $60-70 from Japan including shipping to overseas. :eek:

:( I still can't decide, Since I'm using mine to also control the lighting I'm not sure a software only solution is for me. I don't mind the cost too much and Love the auto fan control, I’m just so damn indecisive.

Personally I'd get the LIS2 and just use the control that comes with most Cold Cathode lights to adjust it as you need. You should be fine in all reality. The other thing is you've only got 4 3pin connectors on most controllers nowadays, so if you're looking to utilize more than that you're going to need a second controller anyways. :eek:

Personally I'd get the LIS2 and just use the control that comes with most Cold Cathode lights to adjust it as you need. You should be fine in all reality. The other thing is you've only got 4 3pin connectors on most controllers nowadays, so if you're looking to utilize more than that you're going to need a second controller anyways. :eek:

1st, I don't have cathodes. I used them like 6years ago I hate them now they suck ass.

2nd, thats what Y-splitters and soldering fans together is for :p
One fan controller should be enough for a system, unless you need more control... I can hook up several fans to one 3-pin on my sunbeam without any worries. I could infact modd it so the LED's are dimmer, BUT, It will never give me that auto fan controll, thats awesome!

Has anything better come out yet? Anyone know how much power each an connector (header) on the controller can handle? For example would I be able to hookup 3 Panaflo L1A fans to one sensor?

thanks in advance planning my new system.

What I'm looking for is something that I can use MBM5 or software temp monitor to vary fan speeds. I don't want to screw with external manual sensors. If the LIS2 or Blaster can do this that would work for me. I have also sceen some USB fan controllers that could work well too, but most use external temp sensors.

I saw a very nice looking Silverstone controller at Fry's that you can either mount the 3 knobs in a 3.5 bay or on a pci slot. It was $20 and came in black or silver anodized finishes that matched their cases.

This is your sunbeam rheobus controller modded with a Lian-Li faceplate to match your case. You can also choose what color LEDs you want, but I don't think they'll be any less bright.

However, what is this VL systems display you guys are talking about? It works with speedfan? That sounds pretty cool, I want one!

Back