Quality BDR Burner?

Ghozur

n00b
Hey all,

So seeing how the prices on Blu Ray burners have come down to reasonable levels, I decided to look into getting one. So first thing I did was look for LiteOn units... And nowhere has them in stock and newegg doesn't even have any listed! What happened to them all??

So seeing how getting a LiteOn seems out of the question, any suggestions for unit with comparable quality? I'm not using it to rip movies, but I do rip a lot of audio cds since I still buy a few a week. And I plan on using it to burn backup discs for my photography since even dual layer dvds are small when you shoot in raw with a full frame.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I've always loved Pioneer and they have a great reputation. I have a BDR-206 and it's been working great for 5 years now. It has ripped and burned countless optical discs.

I was looking into getting one as well, from what I have found it seems like the best thought of current drive for burn quality, etc is the Pioneer BDR-208. However that drive was replaced by the BDR-209, which as far as I can tell is pretty much just as good if you can't find stock on the 208.

There's two versions of each, the 208 has the 2208, and the 209 has the 2209. The only difference is the 220* versions include a cyberlink software suite.

The Pioneers work well enough. I have a couple of LG units that do ok too.

I have the Pioneer BDR-XD05 which is an external USB 3 BDR drive and its great, I use it on both Mac and Windows without issues and it never lets me down. I've burned a variety of CDR, DVD and BDR media on it and had no issues.

Not sure what model, it's a few years old but I have a LG and have burned dozens BD-RW, R without any issues and they all read back just fine.

They can all be hit or miss though, one bad laser can put you off on the brand.

Pioneer are decent but not 100% perfect either with plenty which had issues too.

On sale they can be bought for around $40-60 so not a huge investment.

Do test runs [RW] when you get it to determine it works, if not exchange it quick.

Realize this is a little late, but FWIW I've burn many BluRay discs using the LG WH12NS40 drive and some allegedly NFG (per the brilliant people on NewEgg reviews) RiData media. Out of 100+ discs I 86'd one as I didn't like a strange "knot" I saw on the disc after it burnt... despite verifying OK. Have burnt a few BR-DLs as well without issue, but only a handful. Have the exact same drive at home now too.

Back