Quality All-Around-Media Player

Nuzzles

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I formatted my C drive and I figure it's time to get a new media player. I require a player that supports many a file types (be it by default or through plugins), large library and playlist capabilities, good streaming (audio, mainly), low on resources, has a nice interface, and my mind is blank right now...But you get the idea.

I don't like WMP
Same goes for VLC.
Winamp was good, but on some video it stuttered.

Reccomend me some functional (But free!) media players, please.

Thanks.

I used to be a HUGE fan of Light Alloy... back in the days of v2.4. It was a lean, functional little prog. Then, the author released a couple of buggy versions, something else happened... I haven't followed LA for about a year, but you may want to check it out. It was a great multi-purpose player.

Currently I am using BSplayer for videos and foobar2k for music. There are files which BSplayer refuses to play, then I use VLC. I would use VLC more often but I don't dig the interface too much.

Hmm, thanks Ahriman, didn't really like the look of Light Alloy myself, :x So merh.

And as I said before, (WHenever you start a sentence with this you always come off as a friggin' snob -.-) I'm looking for a all purpose thing, so seperate players are out of the question. Thanks though. ^.^

Elder: MPC has no library (that I'm aware of)

I like Media Player Classic, but have recently switched over to the DIVX player, although I haven't found one yet that's 100% compatible with everything out there.

If you're not set on being such a cheapskate, I would recommend (as above) j.River Media Center. I've yet to find anything more usable.

I use it both on my homeoffice PC and on my media PC in the living room with the 6600GT connected to a Sony Plasma for the movies and TV (j.River also supports TV cards). It supports dual-monitor set-ups, launching images/movies in one monitor and keeping the listing on the other. This appeals to me a lot and I might replace the current plasma with two large LCD's.

For music, it plays back my AAC, MP3, Apple Lossless, FLAC and Ogg files and does support more. I don't use the feature, but j.River will also stream. You can browse a list like iTunes, or by among others, album covers (a nice feature). In my living room set-up, the PC is fitted with an RME HDSP9632 soundcard which is linked via ASIO (j.River can use ASIO) / digital out to a dCS Elgar Plus DAC, Mark Levinson amping and Wilson Benesch speakers. For EQ, I use the Algorithmix Linear Phase PEQ DirectX plugins (j.River can be a DirectX host). It also loads the leading music players including the iPod as well as any USB Mass Storage player. It can transcode on the fly, launching LAME to do it.

j.River takes all that in it's stride (!) and I'm very happy with it.

Fenris_Ulf said:
I like Media Player Classic, but have recently switched over to the DIVX player, although I haven't found one yet that's 100% compatible with everything out there.

MPC + CCCP. Don't forget to install the best codec pack. :)

Then you'll be able to play everything with the exception of .mov. I'm not sure about realmedia.

BSplayer for movies
Foobar for audio.
Both are very customizeable, and have a wealth of options to ensure good audio and video.
Match 'em up with the defiler codec pack and you're set.

or you can use zoom player with cccp.
only because zoomplayer can play mov files

i use mplayer personally. which is like vlc without a gui. and the only media files it hasn't been able to play are ones with DRM

Separate players are where it's at. The only all-in-one type player that is even decent at playing a wide variety of things is WMP, which I, personally, avoid like the plague. There are so many players out there that do different things well, it's almost silly to restrict yourself to one.

If you must have one player, though, my vote would be for WMP

VLC plays just about everything. Otherwise I like media player classic but win DVD 7 kills for playing DVD:s

i am still a fan of winamp, but since i got an ipod i have been using itunes for most of my music playing.

winamp for online radio and video
itunes for music and play lists i guess

I heard so many ppl used jetaudio for their players. gave it a try, and its pretty nice. winamp still #1 tho. :p

Back