Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810 chip shows speed isn't everything

I'm pretty much set on getting a Nexus 6 now to replace my old Nexus 4, and now we see this sort of thing on the horizon? If this is a "November next year" situation for the next gen that's one thing, but if this is going to be in people's hands in Jan/Feb, then that's really quite frustrating. There have been incremental bumps in tech from the 800, 801, 805 etc... but this adds not only twice the cores, but all these new features? Now granted, perhaps some existing hardware from other companies (ie camera tech from Sony that is in the latest Sony and Nexus phones etc) can already approximate these qualities.

Much like PC hardware, it seems like there are incremental upgrades and significant upgrades and I'd hate to miss out on a significant one that makes a phone just barely released in November essentially obsolete.

This will a significant upgrade and equivalent to both Intel's tick (die shrink) and tock (new micro-architecture). Personally, decided to skip 2014 upgrade and wait for 2015 instead.

I'm pretty much set on getting a Nexus 6 now to replace my old Nexus 4, and now we see this sort of thing on the horizon? If this is a "November next year" situation for the next gen that's one thing, but if this is going to be in people's hands in Jan/Feb, then that's really quite frustrating. There have been incremental bumps in tech from the 800, 801, 805 etc... but this adds not only twice the cores, but all these new features? Now granted, perhaps some existing hardware from other companies (ie camera tech from Sony that is in the latest Sony and Nexus phones etc) can already approximate these qualities.

Much like PC hardware, it seems like there are incremental upgrades and significant upgrades and I'd hate to miss out on a significant one that makes a phone just barely released in November essentially obsolete.

You shouldn't have to worry in practice. The big flagship devices probably won't be available until March or April anyway. Still a pretty quick turnaround, but the Nexus 6 won't be obsolete for a long while.

The rush to 4k on phones and tablets is just a marketing fetish (most high-end PC's can barely run games at 4k).

Pretty useless artificial, it failed to mention:-
  • Big-little architecture/ 4+4 (different cores optimised for performance and efficiency)
  • Big jump in GPU performance from the previous gen
  • 20nm, finally!
  • Large boost in memory bandwidth

That's all that springs to mind off the top of my head, oh and it also has some new networking tech (which is integrated).

I'd say the Nexus6 has a couple of months left in it (I think they should have waited). :rolleyes:

Edit: The link at the start of the article was better.

You shouldn't really be upset. If you hopped on any mobile phone news site, or android site for 5-10 minutes you would have known the 810s were coming out early 2015..

This isnt shocking that samsung is updating the note 4 with upgraded specs. They do this with all their phones for the most part. The most recent example being the Galaxy S5 which received a bump from Snapdragon 801 to an 805 a few months after its launch. The problem is the newer versions of the phones are pretty much exclusive to South Korea. I doubt we will see this in the US, unless you buy from an importer.

Back