Quake4\vsync\60 FPS cap woes

MartinX said:
Triple buffering.

I use it, of course, otherwise my frame rates would be ass with vsync enabled :)

The problem is that the 60fps cap is preventing my framerate from syncing with my refresh rate (which is the whole point of vsync) causing the game to be slightly stuttery. If I match the refresh rate with the 60fps cap, then it's a little better but it isn't perfect and it slightly hitches about every second. the ONLY way around it is to remove the cap via setting com_fixTic to 1, which works only in SP and, for no logical reason, ties the framerate to the gameplay timing.

From what I heard it's an anti-hack mechanism, and you will not be able to unlock the FPS cap in MP.

vmerc said:
From what I heard it's an anti-hack mechanism, and you will not be able to unlock the FPS cap in MP.

Eh, it isn't anti-"hack" so to speak. It's that Quake3's jumping height and player speed is dependant on your framerate, so many players would make sure their game ran at a certain framerate to maximize speed and jumping. To counter this, the Doom3 engine is locked at 60.

Interestingly, I've read that the Doom3 engine's player physics aren't dependant on the on the frame rate like Q3's was, so I can't think of any reason to have the cap after that.

Yeah, I think the engines rendering rate is internally hardcoded, my understanding is that the "-1" as opposed to the "1" variable keeps it synced with the server, but lets the FPS go higher, however any frames above 60 are essentially duplicates anyway (I think it was the same in doom3). It stops the stupid high fps exploits that made earlier queake iterations stupid.

I use a tft/dvi so it it doesn't really matter for me and I haven't looked that hard.

Odd as it sounds...

vsync on =Tearing, Laggy mouse inputs. Even with TB.
vsync off, forced 60hz=Tearing
vsync off, forced 85hz=NO Tearing, perfect gameplay.

This is on a NEC FE992-BK

Back