Quake4 is beginning to worry me...

ShuttleLuv

Supreme [H]ardness
I mean it comes out in around two days in stores and not a single demo is available, nor has there really been a super positive review. I'm a little worried myself....wondering if I should just stick to FEAR for this week and cancel it? It'd be a painful thing to do though cause I'm a quaker for life. :cool:

I honestly wouldn't look for a demo until November at the earliest. As of right now, I'm passing on Quake 4 for the sole reason that I absolutely hated Doom 3, and they look to be the same exact game almost. Unfortunately, this probably isn't the best way to go about it, but I see nothing in Quake 4 that really makes me want to go out and buy it.

Now had FEAR been released at a different date? I'm not sure which side of the fence I'd be on. :)

ShuttleLuv said:
I mean it comes out in around two days in stores and not a single demo is available, nor has there really been a super positive review. I'm a little worried myself....wondering if I should just stick to FEAR for this week and cancel it? It'd be a painful thing to do though cause I'm a quaker for life. :cool:
There was no demo for Doom3 when it came out. I liked Doom3. I pre-ordered Quake4. I'm not worried. Considering how many problems the BF2 and FEAR demo have had. Maybe they want to focus on the game first.

I'm sure they will release one and then people who waited can test it out and still order it.

More reviews will hit the net this week and that should also give a better idea as to how the game is.

Most of the popular series anymore have no demo before release, I still don't think there is a demo out for Half-life 2. I think they only expect fans of the game to get it instead of letting people who haven't played see what it's like, or letting people use it as a test to make sure it will be playable on their systems.

theres a demo for half life 2 but it didnt come out until months after the actuall game come out.And reviews? who the fuck cares if pc gamer gave it a 70%....Im buying quake 4 for the multiplayer and Ive seen at least 20 min quakecon footage of the game beeing played and I cant wait.Also Another reason they dont release the demo is for the people to get a feel of the source code and make cheats as soon as the game comes out :D

It looks like a disappointing game all around. The game title means little when it's a shallow game that is dumbed down compared to the rest of the series and has killed off PC FPS ingeniuty and capability just for it to work on consoles (16 multiplayer max, infinite unseperable ammo like Deus Ex 2) It's a console port, console ports are usually crappy, tho it does depend on the genre. FPS console to PC ports are ALWAYS crappy.

peacetilence said:
It looks like a disappointing game all around. The game title means little when it's a shallow game that is dumbed down compared to the rest of the series and has killed off PC FPS ingeniuty and capability just for it to work on consoles (16 multiplayer max, infinite unseperable ammo like Deus Ex 2) It's a console port, console ports are usually crappy, tho it does depend on the genre. FPS console to PC ports are ALWAYS crappy.

N/M misunderstood, sry

Im not worried. I love Quake. The only reason for the bad reviews ive seen is that its the same old Quake game. If its the same old Quake game, im in.

JustinSane said:
Im not worried. I love Quake. The only reason for the bad reviews ive seen is that its the same old Quake game. If its the same old Quake game, im in.

My thoughts exactly. If this game resembles the gameply of Quake 2 in any way, I will be satisfied. :)

I will wait until I read some personal reviews from people.Probalby will go out and get it since Im an Id Software fan.

I'll be waiting for more opinions when its released then I'll make a decision - no demo has ensured I won't be buying it at release.

I miss the days of quake tests, that was like the *thing* to do gaming wise everytime id did it.

Edit: Although quake3 test had more features than quake 3 arena does now. (I really miss those flares that came up in q3test as well as the lighting effect that was later re-added in rtcw)

if I remember right we were having this same conversation about quake3 and when it came out everyone was saying how it sucked.. its never ending.. no matter what game makers do someone is going to say it sucks.. so, I wait for a demo.. see it for myself and go from there.

Shoot, I just bought half life2 couple weeks ago. Price was right and Im having a blast. Pity l listened to everyone saying how much it sucked and how steam sucks.. so far.. key words .. so far. havent had any problems.

I dont know, I think some people just like to complain about anything and everything. Makes it hard to get good information with others just spouting off.

I don't mind steam at all. I bought the silver package before HL2 even came out while my bro bought the game off the shelf for like $15 less and I have the whole back catalogue of games now as well as DoD: Source. As far as it's implementation, it's a little buggy, the DL times are kind of poor but I don't mind buying games directly off the net. Saves me a trip to the store.

I know I will buy this game for the SIngleplayer, not the multiplayer. There are an infinite number of other games where you can camp, and yell OMFG AVP IS GAY NOOBS, so take your pick and have fun.

It has been widely known, for a long time, that Quake is going to focus heavily on singleplayer. If you want anything other then deathmatch out of Quake, then I would suggest waiting for quake wars.

Play the game for what it was intended for, a single player sequel to Quake 2, with death match as a bonus.

Land of the dead demo is pretty fun.

It gets a thumbs up from Uncle Gib and you know I don't like 99% of the shit out there.

Draax said:
I know I will buy this game for the SIngleplayer, not the multiplayer. There are an infinite number of other games where you can camp, and yell OMFG AVP IS GAY NOOBS, so take your pick and have fun.

It has been widely known, for a long time, that Quake is going to focus heavily on singleplayer. If you want anything other then deathmatch out of Quake, then I would suggest waiting for quake wars.

Play the game for what it was intended for, a single player sequel to Quake 2, with death match as a bonus.

From all of my research, FEAR is where the single player is at.

Mojo3k70 said:
My thoughts exactly. If this game resembles the gameply of Quake 2 in any way, I will be satisfied. :)

Ditto here....I WANT an updated Quake Game. That's exactly why I will buy it.

if they arent going to make a demo, i'll just have to "demo" it another way :rolleyes:

if its good, im buying it for online play !

I expect a real solid, satisfying feel to the weapons and amazing visuals, so I'll be happy with that, even if it doesn't have new bells and whistles. I guess I am a little worried, that it will make me realize I'm outgrowing this world of gaming, yet I don't have a satisfactory substitute for it in place.

Who is buying the collectors edition of Quake 4 and why (besides the face that the game is going to kick ass)?

Jawad said:
if they arent going to make a demo, i'll just have to "demo" it another way :rolleyes:

if its good, im buying it for online play !

I don't know why people insist on promoting piracy, and if you do insist on telling everyone, just say "I don't want to pay for it." Rather than use the "no demo" excuse. Oh I'm sorry, since it's based on MP success, it should be "I don't want to pay for it unless I have to." Because you kind of sell yourself out in the second sentence. If the SP is all you need the game for, there is no reason to end up going and pay for it right? Because MP is the headache on a ripped off game. Otherwise you already have headache free SP and if that's all you end up wanting, I don't see you making a special trip to the store over that. You have no rights to ANY of the game, there is no excuse. Where's the must-have a demo law?

There is a group of people, plenty, that just buy the games they play multi on and not others. Naturally, I think you could be in this group, and it doesn't even matter if I'm wrong as that is the foot you put forward, and it's against the rules and the law.

ScYcS said:
You can "finish" SimCity4???? :eek:

Little bit of humor there.. Although I think you actually can "Finish" the game, I think you are more likley to get tired of it.. :)

Where's the must-have a demo law?

I'm not promoting piracy, but it is nice to have some idea of what you're buying before you plunk down your money for it. I wouldn't buy a game without getting some play time in. Sure, reviews are nice, but there are always cases when the reviewer has one opinion (this game rocks!), and you've got a completely different opinion (this game blows the big one!).

Here's an interesting tidbit that's sorta related:
Gamecloud - Doom 3 was released over a year ago. Have you played the game at all and if so what was your reaction to the "remaking" of the game that put you and id Software on the map?

John Romero - I played DOOM3 for 8 hours and I just couldn't take it anymore so I stopped playing it. Then I got HalfLife2, played it and saw the future of the FPS.

I wonder what he would think of Quake 4.

Ozymandias said:
I wonder what he would think of Quake 4.

yeah lets quote the guy who made the super awsome DaiKatana... :rolleyes:

Ive already prebought the collectors edition of Q4 ill be out tomorrow to pick it up at like 8:00am or so. If it plays the same as quake 2 especially in multiplayer..im gonna have a blast. I wanna replay "the edge" and god knows id love to see "tokays towers" as well as a few others like "the frag pipe".
I feel someone later on down the line will make these maps..and its gonna be great !
Everyone sees "uses the doom3 engine" and automatically ASSumes that its gonna look like doom3 (very little light,tons of shadows etc) and that its gonna play the same..oh well let em get the demo in about a month or so and those of us who own it can say "see we told you it wasnt the same"
and for the gentleman saying he will "demo" it another way... :rolleyes:

Doom 3 >>>>>> Daikatana

I would not ask Romero where the future of FPS games is. If he had his way, we would all be playing Squad FPS games with shitty back stories, character development, visuals, just about everything.

i went to digital life and saw it played there, it looks like a combinations between Unreal and Doom so if your into that type of shooter...

it doesnt come out tomorrow does it ??

i just went on ebgames.com and it says november 18th ??

the fear mp blew me away while the quake4 mp was eh'ish at best imo. yea its the same old quake game, but its the same old quake game with no strafe jumping. thats like taking a guys nuts and telling him to go make babies, its just wrong :(

If it doesn't support widescrean it should be easily tweaked so it does like doom 3, so I wouldn't worry about having a widescreen monitor.

I am going to wait a few months to buy quake 4 after a patch comes out, the price goes down, and i hear people talk about it more.

jetjaguar said:
it doesnt come out tomorrow does it ??

i just went on ebgames.com and it says november 18th ??
it SHIPS tomorrow, although I just got a call from Gamestop saying it should be ready tomorrow afternoon for me to pickup, so they might have been able to ship it out earlier then expected.

Back