quake4 and, halflife2

Wesley1357

Limp Gawd
is like they say, quake4 is too much like doom3, i really didn't like d3, is q4 great or not?

i was thinking about buying a game, what do you guys recommend, q4 or hl2?

well, if you like your shooting very mindless, go q4, its still rather enjoyable.

if you like to have a bit more with your shooting, grab hl2. Plus if you get the right pack you will also get Counter Strike Source, Day of Defeat Source, all that good stuff.

im playing Q4 single player right now and enjoying it much more than i did HL2 single player.

Quake 4 >> Hl2 in terms of both mp and SP...

and quake 4 isnt shooting mindlessly... if it is then i can say the same for most of the FPS games out there.

It's a very different style to compare. There aren't as many interactive puzzles in q4 as in HL2, but for some reason it still retains its fun. I reccomend it.

There's nothing like HL2. I can run around the game and just have crazy fun with the gravity gun. Maybe pick something up and fire it at something just to see how it reacts. Maybe push a junk car over the cliff. You can be very creative in HL2 in how you do things.

Quake 4 is just run and shot. It was boring and so were the guns.

Think of it like this. At the end you still get CS and other game mods for HL2.

Out of this too even though Q4 is a much better game then Doom 3 I have to say F.E.A.R, Far Cry and Riddick: EFBB is all better than Half Life 2. However Half Life 2 does qually as a fourth on that list to me in term of fps.

HL 2 is way overhyped. It has bad AI and to long boat and buggy sequences. Feels stretched out. Now I do preferr longer games but it has to fill the shoes really. Music was awful as well but nice environments and good use of physics and stuff. Even though a distracting walking model and such it´s overall a great game you probably will have a lot of fun with. However there is better more solid fps games out there ;)

I always felt like HL2 was overhyped aswell. Though it does have some, if not alot of, memorable moments. But it also has alot of tedious moments. Puzzle elements + gravity gun = slow paced and made me want to shout "I get it, it has good fysics, give it a rest already"
Also, When I was playing Q4 I really was compairing it to the good things of HL2. Q4 may not be as long as HL2, it also doesn't have any annoying moments, it has a very nice, steady pace - never a dull moment.
Also you can clearly see the influence HL2 has had on Q4. The one has learned of the other. Which is a good thing imho.

If you want to talk about graphics, then there's really no comparison. The Doom3 engine just looks that much better. (granted that I haven't seen HDR in the source engine yet)

Theres something to be said about HL2 and the ability to waylay things with random objects you find around the levels. You spend a lot of time wandering about seeing what you can paste in somebodies face the next time they come around that corner.

There is also something to be said for shooting giant sawblades and cutting people/zombies in half :D

What other game gives you the giant sawblade option, I mean c;mon!

Seriously though, HL2 had it's share of puzzles for the sake of puzzles, buggy controls (imo) and some other less than original features, that while it was awesome, it wasn't THAT awesome.

I'm getting ready to fire up Q4, can't wait!

T

That's a simple choice. HL2 is better than Q4. Period. And this thread can be locked now as well since there is simply no reason to argue this any further :D

Quake 4 is actually the most fun i've had with a FPS since Half-Life 2...of course, i'm talking about SP. Everything is just so polished, and it combines old-school shoot-em-up with great graphics and amazing sound. Loving it so far, but then again, I was one of the few that liked Doom 3. Great game, theres no way you won't like SP!

i really didn't enjoy HL2 a whole lot, i'm glad i played it on a friends account before i bought it for CS (don't even like CS a whole lot either haha) to me it was an alright game

Quake4 was awsome in every area, you get the gruisomness from the strogg, the id's lvl's of random machines that you have no clue what it does or is ment for but it looks fucking awsome watching it in action, cool guns, even better animations, a very well played story line to go off of quake2 (if you played quake2) a world that seems to never end, and the hover tank lvl!!!!!!!

if you have a surround sound system and a decent sound card, the music, and ambient noises are great, kinda creepy in silent situations and in the beginning with all the explosions going off around you while in the trench ... man it was a well made game, been a long time since i've actually been wow'd by something

save your money and buy Far Cry for 20 bucks. Best FPS of all time.

Archaea said:
save your money and buy Far Cry for 20 bucks. Best FPS of all time.
Don't mention Far Cry. That game was OK but it was basically boring. Now that was a technology Demo.

I don't understand why so many people would consider Quake 4 to be so good. It was OK but not great. Certainly not like HL2.

My only complaint about HL2 was that the game was short. I felt that I only played half the game.

DukenukemX said:
Don't mention Far Cry. That game was OK but it was basically boring. Now that was a technology Demo.

I don't understand why so many people would consider Quake 4 to be so good. It was OK but not great. Certainly not like HL2.

My only complaint about HL2 was that the game was short. I felt that I only played half the game.

Simple, everyone has there own opnions. And with Quake 4, I find that the people who played all the Quakes back in the day, are really the ones who enjoyed Quake 4.

Also, how was Far Cry a technology demo? What other game uses that engine? Far Cry is probably one of the best games I played in my life.

Quake 4 SP got boring about 2 hours into it. Other than the vehicle parts, every level is the same. It's not as bad as Doom 3, but it's still repetivite. I was glad 8 hours later when I was done with it. I didn't bother with the multiplayer, not my kind of stuff.

I can't believe there are still people who haven't played HL2. Go get it!

Personally, Quake 4 got me hooked, HL2 and D3 didn't do that. Personally, I'm into the faster action style like Quake 4, and isn't actually that long. The MP has been alot of fun, although I wouldn't mind a little speed bump, since it seems to be a bit too easy to get a lucky hit with the rail.

Lazy_Moron said:
Simple, everyone has there own opnions. And with Quake 4, I find that the people who played all the Quakes back in the day, are really the ones who enjoyed Quake 4.

Also, how was Far Cry a technology demo? What other game uses that engine? Far Cry is probably one of the best games I played in my life.

I played all the Quakes back in the day. I was there for Team Fortess and 2fort5. :p

FarCry is a technology demo because simply it seemed to be geared for that. There's was nothing innovative or exciting about Far Cry. It was Counter Strike weapons with shit for a story. It was the graphics that made people play that game. Seriously am I the only one who noticed how often the crytek engine was mentioned when people talk about Far Cry? There are no games using it but it doesn't mean it wasn't a tech demo of a game. For all you know there's a game right now that is being made on the engine.

Quake 4 is certainly better then Far Cry. Maybe not Far Cry's graphics but the gameplay and story was better in Quake 4.

Half Life 2 did have everything. It had gameplay and puzzles. Nothing was repetitive in HL2. There was always something new and something different to look at.

Doom 3 is better then Quake 4. I just can't see why Quake 4 is better. How many people were a little edgy playing Doom 3? Nothing like fighting monsters in a game that could actually scare you. The only other game that did that for me was Resident Evil.

I think people expected more from Doom 3 and less from Quake 4. Hence why people think Quake 4 > Doom 3.

I am starting to wonder whether the Q4 sucks crowd has such extreme biases, that they are giving either an opinion on a game they really havn't played, or have let their biases ruin the gaming experience of Quake 4 to a point where they just couldn't enjoy it. For the people who keep saying the same thing over and over that Doom 3 was a technology demo, I agree that Far Cry was the real technology demo. After the ooooouuuu, and aahhhh's from the eye candy wore off, it just became really long and boring. Same goes for Fear for me as i'm almost done and feel like it was really boring. The scenery just never changes as you swear that you've been to half of the places in the game before. The At least in Doom 3, you had much prettier higher detailed textures to look at when going through lab after lab.

swatX said:
Quake 4 >> Hl2 in terms of both mp and SP...

QFT... Q4 isn't super amazingly kickass but it's easily better than the TURD they tried to pass off as the sequel to Half-Life.

junehhan said:
I am starting to wonder whether the Q4 sucks crowd has such extreme biases, that they are giving either an opinion on a game they really havn't played, or have let their biases ruin the gaming experience of Quake 4 to a point where they just couldn't enjoy it.
Biased in what way? I loved quake and I loved Quake 2. Quake 3 should have been more then a multiplayer but it was great when people made mods for it.

This is the way I see it.

Quake 4

Graphics - 8
To me the Doom engine just blurs too many things.

Gameplay - 6
The monsters were fun to kill but it became repetitive. You ran you shot you killed.

Story - 6
Wish I was given more info about the enemy I was fighting. Like what's their origin and did they go to other planets to make more half flesh half machine beasts. Plus the hero never spoke. I never like that.

Guns - 5
The idea of getting guns is great but upgrading old guns isn't. Most guns simply didn't look cool. The only gun I like was the black hole gun. Watching it charge is aww inspiring.

Score = 6.25

Doom 3

Graphics - 8
I do think the graphics were a bit better in Quake 4 but when you go to hell in Doom 3 the graphics just seem to pop up in the Doom engine.

Gameplay - 7
While it's still run and shot at least I expected the creators to try and scare me every so often. That they did very well. They made a game to scare you and they succeeded.

Story - 8
Who ever said Doom 3 doesn't have a story needs to pay attention. Certainly one of the most well made stories I've seen in a FPS game. They even gave you videos and even audio from people. The story was there if you wanted it and it was good.

Gun - 7
Yes it's all the old Doom guns. The BFG still rocks and the guns stayed true to the original. In other words they stayed with what worked.

Score = 7.5

Half Life 2

Graphics - 8
Simply because they did use lots of physics in this game. Not too many things had shadows and pretty lights but everything did fall and move realistic.

Gameplay - 9
This game was fun just by standing in one spot and playing with the gravity gun. Also nothing stays the same for too long. You can drive a car and a boat. You had to move things to get around in the desert. Creativity was required to enjoy this game. The only reason it didn't get a 10 was because it was short.

Story - 6
There wasn't much info about the enemy you were fighting. Lots of times you were given plot holes that never got filled. Plus the game left you hanging, wishing, and wanting to know more.

Guns - 8
Some guns were done very well and were very useful. The spores like thing you threw was very fun to use. Of course there was the gravity gun. Best gun ever made. Was 10X better near the end of the game. You know it was good when the Doom 3 expansion pack included a gun just like it. HL2 still of course did it better.

Score = 7.75

I think what I said was pretty accurate. It's my opinion which of course means jack. Just something you can try to relate.

junehhan said:
I am starting to wonder whether the Q4 sucks crowd has such extreme biases, that they are giving either an opinion on a game they really havn't played, or have let their biases ruin the gaming experience of Quake 4 to a point where they just couldn't enjoy it. For the people who keep saying the same thing over and over that Doom 3 was a technology demo, I agree that Far Cry was the real technology demo. After the ooooouuuu, and aahhhh's from the eye candy wore off, it just became really long and boring. Same goes for Fear for me as i'm almost done and feel like it was really boring. The scenery just never changes as you swear that you've been to half of the places in the game before.
I agree with you fully up until this point. Very well said. If you are out to hate the game, then you will not like it because you will just look for all the flaws in something that cannot be perfect.

Asking which game is better on a forum is a terrible idea because everyone has their own opinions and f@nboisms :p Everyone will say one game is the best ever and the other was totally dumb. Just make the decision for yourself from some unbiased reviews. Reading things on a forum will be more biased than anything, leading you to something you may not like.

junehhan said:
The At least in Doom 3, you had much prettier higher detailed textures to look at when going through lab after lab.
I don't know what Doom 3 you played, but the textures in Doom 3 are about 256x256. It doesn't matter how high you turn up the details, they will always be blurry up close. It's the D3 engine, because it's crappy and only made for low light situations where you can't see the textures anyway. It's the same way in Q4, turn up the details to max and walk up close, everything will still be blury, because the textures are so low res. Granted the bump mapping and everything makes it look very nice at a relatively close distance, but way up close it all goes to crap.

ThirtySixBelow said:
Asking which game is better on a forum is a terrible idea because everyone has their own opinions and f@nboisms :p Everyone will say one game is the best ever and the other was totally dumb. Just make the decision for yourself from some unbiased reviews. Reading things on a forum will be more biased than anything, leading you to something you may not like.
People need to understand that when people talk shit about a game that it's actually helpful. Obviously the game wasn't perfect cause no game is. If you like FPS and you're in the market for one, then you'll want to know which game to get first. If you're the FPS whore like I am then you'll end up with all these games anyway. You will enjoy them to a certain degree.

The problem is that people who point the downs of the game need to learn to explain what they felt was wrong with it. It's mostly a person who says it sucks and then goes back into the rock they came from.

I just wish that developers read some of the stuff that people have to say about their games. Would help them create a much better game next time.

All good points here.........

It would honestly be more meaningful if people justified their conclusions to a product. They will rant about how badly something sucks, or how awesome something was without telling people why.

As for Doom 3, I was honestly impressed with those textures running at High or Ultra quality. Everything had pretty good detail, especially the stuff you could read. I remember when I tried playing it on my friend's old Geforce 4 Ti at low quality how it sucked though.......

What I really liked almost as much than the eye candy and EAX 4.0 HD sound in Quake 4 was also the pace of action. At least to me, this is one of those games where you can go on an all-nighter marathon session with as it never got boring. This is in contrast to Doom 3 which was a much slower paced game. As far as the hero of Quake 4 being a mute, that's one area where I wish these hero's were more vocally involved. He wasn't completely quiet though as I think I heard him screaming during the Stroggification process...............

junehhan said:
As far as the hero of Quake 4 being a mute, that's one area where I wish these hero's were more vocally involved. He wasn't completely quiet though as I think I heard him screaming during the Stroggification process...............
That's one of the best things I liked about Duke Nukem 3D and Serious Sam. They said shit when I played the game. I laughed and moved on.

Seems to be a growing trend for games to have mute heros.

HL2 is simply the best single player game ever made. There is NO comparison.

NumbLock said:
HL2 is simply the best single player game ever made. There is NO comparison.

Eh...I wouldn't go THAT far.

It is the best PC FPS though. Though, I am loving Quake 4 so far :D I don't care what anyone says, Quake 4 is right up there with HL2 and FC :)

airiox said:
HL2 all the way one of the top 5 shooters of all time.

You must have not been playing games for a while, because you can't fit it into any place other than maybe the top twenty. Just think about it, haven't you ever wondered how pointless the story was for HL2? I mean, really the only thing that HL2 did well over Doom 3, was that it had a engine which could be played on a bigger pallette of machines, but Doom 3 was a killer for most computers.

zamardii said:
You must have not been playing games for a while, because you can't fit it into any place other than maybe the top twenty. Just think about it, haven't you ever wondered how pointless the story was for HL2? I mean, really the only thing that HL2 did well over Doom 3, was that it had a engine which could be played on a bigger pallette of machines, but Doom 3 was a killer for most computers.
I wouldn't say HL2 is top 5 but it should be in the top 10. Just because they put very good use of the physics capabilites of HL2. No game has ever done that. Hell no game has even copied them. The use of physics put HL2 as one of the most entertaining games to play. It's a game that you can be very creative with how you deal with obstacles.

In every game there's always an obstacle. Usually there's only one way to get around it. Hl2 doesn't limit you.

My top 5 best FPS games are these.

Dukenukem 3D
Thief series
Doom series
Half Life
Unreal series

Not in that order of course. If I had to include another game it would be Half Life 2.

I purchased Q4 for old time sake and I must say I am quite pleased with it. Its a hell of alot of fun. Seeing the Strog as they looked like only in the story baord art of Quake 2 come to life is very cool.

The fact that I dont get sick while playing like i occasionaly do with HF2 ( motion sickness anomoly) puts it over the top for me

I love HL2, but I'm going to give the edge to Q4. It's quite simply... fun... (so is HL2 though) I personally wouldn't get one over the other. If you're into good shooters, there really is no reason not to have both. Also, as mentioned above, Riddick is pretty amazing. If you like modern shooters, here is my list of must haves:

Quake IV
Riddick
F.E.A.R.
Halflife 2
Battlefield 2
Doom 3
Far Cry
UT2004

And they are all good for different reasons. You want pure tactics, BF2 is nice. You want fast paced, high reflex action, the Quake IV. If you want slow and creepy, Doom 3. If you want excellent story, acting, and varied play, Riddick is the one to play. If you want just plain creepy, with some tactics, and a nice pace, F.E.A.R. is nice. Excellent physics, decent story, mid-range tactics, Halflife 2......... etc.... They are all good, and you really should have all of them. (especially when some of them are going for less than $15) I recommend going to www.gogamer.com and looking up the prices for all of these. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how cheap some of them are. (I picked up Riddick for $12 there.)

Back