• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quake Live

feverlax

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
350
Anyone else out there extremely excited for this game? To me, the prospect of a new Quake Arena that's free and playable through a web browser is just amazing. I love(d) Quake Arena, so any updates to it should be sweet. Anyone out there in the beta that cares to share their thoughts on it? If it's allowed that is.
 
I don't like having no CPMA mod or non centralized servers. That may change after the release I hope. I also hate having to try and figure out what the new console commands are that I am use to in q3.
 
Awesome, I've been looking for a good online game to play with my coworkers.
 
Will definitely be checking it out. Hopefully I can play it at work, that would be sweet!
 
At first I thought 'I've played q3 for 6 years, I've had ENOUGH" but after having not played it for a few years I thought it might be nice to play it again, and if they can make it easy to jump in a game, don't have to worry about pb updates, or versions, or mods, or maps, and has a nice ladder system, and is free on top of it, then why the hell not. I probably won't invest a whole lot of time into it since the game is pretty old and theres a lot of newer/better games out there that is probably worth more of your time, but for the ocassional game I'm all for it.
 
Refresh my memory, since I am at work I can not really research it. What is Quake Live again. From reading these posts it sounds like they are making a quake that plays in your browser??
 
Yea, I can't wait. Q3 and the original UT were the best online FPS ever (CS came close).
 
Refresh my memory, since I am at work I can not really research it. What is Quake Live again. From reading these posts it sounds like they are making a quake that plays in your browser??

Quake Live is basically a remake of Quake 3 Arena, although it will most likely have new maps, etc. It is purely browser based, no need to install software or anything, simply fire up your web browser and play!

I for one am pretty excited, I have always love the Quake and UT games the most, so anything new from either of those I get pretty excited for. The fact that it's free and can be played from anywhere is even better.
 
Not that I know of no. The only thing I've heard is that a plugin may be necessary for firefox, but that's multi platform so that wouldn't matter.
 
It is purely browser based, no need to install software or anything, simply fire up your web browser and play!
Not quite. The game doesn't run within the browser, but the game is launched through the browser (I assume QL registers a protocol for that) and all of the matchmaking and ranking stuff is web-based.

I assume the game still requires an installer to be run locally.
 
Are you sure? I could have sworn that I read somewhere that it was going to run within the browser and that at least at they time they were looking into making a browser plug in so that all you need to install is the plug in. Maybe I read it wrong...
 
Ah...I guess I was wrong. Turns out it's just a browser plug-in powered by something similar to InstantAction's Tribes-clone Fallen Empire.

Pretty slick.
 
It is isn't it? (slick). The whole plug in based install makes it even more appealing. You can play wherever you are, no matter what system you are running. What would be absolutely great would be if the plug in would run with PortableFirefox off of a flash drive. That to me would be awesome, and I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work.
 
Yea ive been playing it and it is pretty cool, but it does download and put some stuff on your harddrive which im assuming is to help lower bandwith.
 
http://planetquake.gamespy.com/quakelive/

GameSpy: In terms of content, will this be a full conversion of everything in Quake III, or just some of the maps?

John Carmack: It's everything that was in Quake III Arena, and also the content from Team Arena, which a lot of people hadn't seen because it was an add-on expansion.

Every map has been touched, where it's not just maps copied over, but we took current level designers, and had them go through every single map. Everything has been touched up -- the lighting's been improved, texture alignments, all these little things. When Quake III Arena came out, it was the first major hardware acceleration-required game, and it kind of got by on a lot of "wow, this is fast, colorful, anti-aliased graphics acceleration" stuff, and when we went back to look at it with a critical eye, we see a lot of things like "oh, these textures don't match along the walls, this area is too dark." All that type of stuff has been cleaned up as they integrated the sponsorship billboards, scoreboards and things like that inside the game.
 
Unfortunately I think this game might still be a little ways off, I was talking to one of my friends who is in the beta and he said there are still a lot of annoying glitches that need to be fixed. I hope they can be fixed fast so it can be released before years end.
 
I hope it is a success I could use a game like this to play with all my friends who refuse to replace their integrated graphics :(
 
Any release date info yet? I haven't been keeping track but I can't wait to play!
 
Any release date info yet? I haven't been keeping track but I can't wait to play!

No release date yet. If you read my post a few posts up you'll see that it might not be around for a while considering the amount of bugs in the beta. I still have hope it will be out before the year's over though.
 
Back
Top