• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quake con

falcon26

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
128
I just saw some footage from Quake Con and from what they showed I would say about 95% of the monitors they showed people playing on were CRT's. That's what I don't get. If LCD's are good at gaming, why do most if not all people that goto gaming cons use CRT's?
 
2 things to think about...

1. LCDs are just now passing CRT sales not everyone has an LCD and that is even more so with 14-25 year old gamers...

2. some people don't want to take a $600 LCD to a LAN to have it damaged...

I think next years quakecon will be different with LCDs as there will be a lot more. will it pass the CRT count? prolly not yet, due to the above 2 staments...
 
Zardoz said:
2 things to think about...

1. LCDs are just now passing CRT sales not everyone has an LCD and that is even more so with 14-25 year old gamers...

2. some people don't want to take a $600 LCD to a LAN to have it damaged...

I think next years quakecon will be different with LCDs as there will be a lot more. will it pass the CRT count? prolly not yet, due to the above 2 staments...


That's right. The "l33t" dudes had the big ass new widescreen models. I had my 19" LCD there, and I checked out a guys brand new 2405fpw.... I almost cried.


I will have my 21" widescreen there next august...I have only missed one year since 2000....
 
iori yagami said:
if you think tfts are good for gaming you're dumb

crt @ 120hz > any tft out there
A good LCD provides a fantastic gaming experience. I've enjoyed 3 different 19" Gateway LCDs, a Dell 2005FPW at home, and we still have 19" Samsung CRT's here in the [H] Consumer offices.

I prefer LCDs at this point.
 
iori yagami said:
if you think tfts are good for gaming you're dumb

crt @ 120hz > any tft out there


If you think LCD's suck for gaming you are dumb.
 
people who make the crt > lcd argument confuse me.

okay so refresh rate isnt PERFECT, but wouldnt my 24" lcd provide an advantage over any of your 20" crts which are only 19 viewable anyway? i mean isnt screen space more important than refresh rate?
 
It might sound crazy, but after spending so much time gaming on an LCD, I can see the CRT flicker. It's supposed to be impossible for the human eye to see, but I don't know what to say - it gives me a splitting headache after a while. Not so much with the LCD.
 
DNA Doc said:
It might sound crazy, but after spending so much time gaming on an LCD, I can see the CRT flicker. It's supposed to be impossible for the human eye to see, but I don't know what to say - it gives me a splitting headache after a while. Not so much with the LCD.
Same here. I run a NEC fe991sb/Samsung 712N set-up and I can see a slight flicker in my NEC after viewing my LCD for a long time. Refresh is maxed on the CRT yet the flicker still remains.
 
My CRT days are done. I guess there is still debate about LCD ghosting and blackness and backlight bleeding, but to be honest, my good old 25ms Samsung 213T has looked good to me in gaming. I just have never been able to ghosting.

But beyond gaming, looking at an LCD for an extended period of time is just easier. Sharper text and no flicker, which for some reason I am sensitive to.

There are so many display technologies coming out over the next few years. It will be intresting to see SED and OLED and what they can deliver.

_____________________________________________________________
Windows Media Center 2005
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
Athlon 64 X2 4800+
2GB Corsair 3500LL Pro Memmory
2x BFG 7800 GTX 512 OC in SLI
3x Maxtor DiamondMax10 300GB HDD in RAID-0
2x hp dvd740 DVD Writer optical drive | 1x Mitsumi FA404M 7-in-1 USB 2.0 card reader and floppy drive
Antec P180 case
Enermax EG851AX-VH 660W Power Supply
Samsung SyncMaster 213T 21" 1600x1200 LCD Monitor
 
DNA Doc said:
It might sound crazy, but after spending so much time gaming on an LCD, I can see the CRT flicker. It's supposed to be impossible for the human eye to see, but I don't know what to say - it gives me a splitting headache after a while. Not so much with the LCD.
Agreed. :( I've tried to explain this plenty of times, but people still think I'm bullshitting, when I'm most definitely not. A CRT for my eyes are big no-no, regardless of what so-called "experts" have to say about it... :mad:
 
Back
Top