Quake Champions

I've been playing Quake games for 20 years now. Interested in this one as well. Looks mostly like Q3 anyway.

Thing is, Quake has devolved. Used to be running and gunning. These days people like rapha (current QuakeCon champ, just watch the finals if you haven't) dominate with their defensive +back styles and I hate it. A lot of you new players have adopted this approach over the last few years. It sucks.

DOOM MP was lame bad designs for the characters except the monsters the Armor for playing MP the lobby and all that Jazz kinda sucked.

I've been playing Quake games for 20 years now. Interested in this one as well. Looks mostly like Q3 anyway.

Thing is, Quake has devolved. Used to be running and gunning. These days people like rapha (current QuakeCon champ, just watch the finals if you haven't) dominate with their defensive +back styles and I hate it. A lot of you new players have adopted this approach over the last few years. It sucks.

I agree. The trailer here says pure skill, pure fps, but I doubt they are going to stop it from turning into item whoring competition like most arena FPS.

IMO you should have a good chance at winning every encounter by out-skilling your opponent no matter no matter how stacked they are. But the spawning loadout is so weak compared to a fully stacked player that the gameplay devolves into power-up and weapon whoring.

I agree. The trailer here says pure skill, pure fps, but I doubt they are going to stop it from turning into item whoring competition like most arena FPS.

IMO you should have a good chance at winning every encounter by out-skilling your opponent no matter no matter how stacked they are. But the spawning loadout is so weak compared to a fully stacked player that the gameplay devolves into power-up and weapon whoring.

Item whoring is fine. Is there an alternative to that? One shot - one kill, like CS and Battlefield types of games? No thanks. And in terms of an arena type game - HLDM. No mega health, no meaningful armour to collect. The game has some serious issues because of it.

Spawning with something beyond gauntlet and machinegun worked fine for FFA, FreezeTag and such. No issues with me. It actually revitalized the game but I don't want to imagine it used in duels. That would be a disaster.

"IMO you should have a good chance at winning every encounter by out-skilling your opponent no matter no matter how stacked they are."

Isn't that how it is, though? Problem is when you're evenly matched in terms of skill but one is not willing to to all aggro. What do you do then? The aggressor is almost always going to lose in most situations. And with people consistently hitting 60% Lightning and Rail... there's a ceiling in skill, too.

This being a new game presents an opportunity to offset the inevitable once again. This time with a bunch of RPG elements :/

"quake has devolved" holy shit kill me

rapha doesn't have a +back style, he has an "i want to win" style. he attacks when he is supposed to and defends when he is supposed to. brainless players like toxic and av3k will mindlessly zerg you as soon as they get rl and/or lg and that is precisely why neither of them was consistently top-top tier in quake 3/live. they are/were fun players to watch but as soon as you learn about all the mistakes they constantly make with positioning and timing it becomes hard to watch even if they're winning. maybe this will be another quake 4 where toxic can just demolish everyone with the best aim in the world, but that would be exceptionally sad considering the amount of brain power AND aim it takes to be good in quake live.

i really want to say mean things to you because it's unbelievable to me that someone could think this way, but instead i will link you a video showcasing the absolutely mindblowing strategy that goes on in high level quake mainly because of pickups.

and, you know, if you don't like using your brain you can just play clan arena like all the other monkeys.

Last edited:

rapha doesn't have a +back style, he has an "i want to win" style. he attacks when he is supposed to and defends when he is supposed to. brainless players like toxic and av3k will mindlessly zerg you as soon as they get rl and/or lg and that is precisely why neither of them was consistently top-top tier in quake 3/live. they are/were fun players to watch but as soon as you learn about all the mistakes they constantly make with positioning and timing it becomes hard to watch even if they're winning. maybe this will be another quake 4 where toxic can just demolish everyone with the best aim in the world, but that would be exceptionally sad considering the amount of brain power AND aim it takes to be good in quake live.

Yeah, I agree. Still, I think it's possible for someone to come up with a new aggressive that beats the 0-0 with overtimes producing machine that is rapha. Maybe the new game will give us such a chance. Hope it's not another q4 lol

i really want to say mean things to you because it's unbelievable to me that someone could think this way, but instead i will link you a video showcasing the absolutely mindblowing strategy that goes on in high level quake mainly because of pickups.

and, you know, if you don't like using your brain you can just play clan arena like all the other monkeys.

I know a lot of strategy goes into it, I watch the tournaments all the time. And me saying that it's devolved into item whoring is an exaggeration, but I would just rather it be based even more so on mechanical aiming and movement skill than it is on strategy.

Making the starting weapon better would do a lot for that.

I know a lot of strategy goes into it, I watch the tournaments all the time. And me saying that it's devolved into item whoring is an exaggeration, but I would just rather it be based even more so on mechanical aiming and movement skill than it is on strategy.

Making the starting weapon better would do a lot for that.
it's based enough on mechanical skill. toxic already showed that you can overpower the smartest player in the game with sheer aim and nothing else. evil has done the same thing but with slightly worse aim and slightly better strategy. quake is the last truly hardcore fps that's still around, it doesn't need to and shouldn't be dumbed down. you'll probably get your wish with champions anyway.

it's based enough on mechanical skill. toxic already showed that you can overpower the smartest player in the game with sheer aim and nothing else. evil has done the same thing but with slightly worse aim and slightly better strategy. quake is the last truly hardcore fps that's still around, it doesn't need to and shouldn't be dumbed down. you'll probably get your wish with champions anyway.

who's the smartest player? not that q4 was about smarts anyway. as much as any competitive game is a completely different with just 50ms latency, it made all the difference in q4. complete aim fest.

who's the smartest player? not that q4 was about smarts anyway. as much as any competitive game is a completely different with just 50ms latency, it made all the difference in q4. complete aim fest.
rapha. i was talking about quake live.

so, this one time? k1llsen did it as well. love it when it happens

Back