Quake Champions get updated

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by biggles, Sep 6, 2018.

1. biggles

biggles [H]ard|Gawd

They added the classic map "The Longest Yard" from Quake 3. And some new game modes.
    https://quake.bethesda.net/en/news/3XorolLTZSC48sMakGsa2E

Any forum members here play Quake Champions? I'd like to add some friends. Game name is dynaboom.

For those who don't know, it is a free to play online shooter similar to Quake 3. They give you a couple of free starting characters. Graphics and framerates are great. Pretty steep learning curve, though.

2. Denpepe

Denpepe Gawd

I play a bit every now and then, usually get my ass handed to me royally, sucks getting old :p

5150Joker likes this.
  3. SOAREVERSOR

SOAREVERSOR [H]Lite

Been rocking this and stomping fools for a while.

That map sucks and is noob bait though.

4. DWolvin

DWolvin [H]ard|Gawd

Heh; someone that played the original and a 12 year old back to back... (j/k)

5. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

game is just OK, connecting to a game sometimes takes up to 5 min, by that point I just shut it off and play something else.

6. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

That is pretty much my only issue with it. I wish they'd just allow non-ranked either private-persistent or dedicated servers.

7. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

yup i have the same problem which is why i've stayed away from the game, i want to remember the good ol' days when i was a beast at quake 3 not remind myself i'm getting old and probably shouldn't of played the game.

8. biggles

biggles [H]ard|Gawd

What are the more popular online fps games these days? I used to love playing Unreal Tournament 2004 way back when. Are there more people playing Team Fortress 2?

9. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Dirty Bomb

Destiny 2 crucible matches

Killing Floor 2

Call of Duty black ops 4 in a few weeks

Battlefront 2

10. ghostwich

ghostwich [H]ard|Gawd

Loaded question. I'm sure you can go see some Steam stats, or check out the relevant Reddit pages, but I like to break it down to what you're looking for - they're all not the same "FPS" anymore.

There are:
    • twitch-based FPS (Quake Live and Quake Champions to a degree, and... CS:GO?)
    • hero FPS (Overwatch, Call of Duty kind of, Rainbow Six Siege, and yes Team Fortress 2)
    • large scale (Battlefield 1, but 3 and 4 still have population)
    • tactical (Rainbow Six Siege, and... CS:GO)
    • tactical-lite (CS:GO)
    • objective based (CS:GO, Overwatch, Rainbow Six Siege, Dirty Bomb)
    • deathmatch-heavy (Call of Duty, Quake Champions, CS:GO)
    • battle royale (PUBG in FPS locked servers)
    • niche (Titanfall 2, Tribes, that game on Steam which is basically Tribes)
    I'm sorry for not answering your question, really.

chockomonkey likes this.
  11. biggles

biggles [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for the breakdown. Which games play most like Unreal Tournament 2004? I really liked that one due to the integration of vehicles and traditional first person shooting. And they had some cool game modes like Assault. Actually, maybe I should reinstall 2004 and see if there are still people playing that.

12. ghostwich

ghostwich [H]ard|Gawd

Battlefield 3/4/1 I think has the most polished/popular integration of vehicles/FPS? But the gameplay is nothing like UT2004. You might have some luck with the subreddit (maybe there's a Discord for it, etc.).

13. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Give Quake Champions a try. It’s free, and pretty fun. It’s definitely Quake style, but there are similarities to UT as well. I’ve been enjoying it.

14. SOAREVERSOR

SOAREVERSOR [H]Lite

Got updated with a grapple character and a turret character hits this weekend.

15. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Nice, I'll have to check it out. Any other interesting updates? I haven't played for about a month as I've been distracted with my "fall-season" games (typically classic Mario / Zelda + Chrono Trigger) :D

16. SOAREVERSOR

SOAREVERSOR [H]Lite

The new gamemode sucks, the arcade modes can be OK (team IG, only rockets + LG + rail + unlimited ammo, hot rockets, and then the rest blow), CTF is on it's way soon. Death Knight and Clutch and BJ were nerfed pretty damn hard due to their OPness. On the PTS there is a drastic reworking which severely cripples the damage of all abilities, raises their cool down, and prevents attacking straight after them which may or may not carry over.

The grapple and turret character seem to be meaning they are taking CTF seriously.

chockomonkey likes this.
  17. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

So, mixed bag as usual. :D Honestly, I've been having fun playing it, so overall it seems to be going in the right direction. CTF will be a nice addition.

18. chockomonkey

chockomonkey [H]ardForum Junkie

Ctf was my favorite mode in Q3.

I really wish they would have just kept quake live around tho. Not sure I like classes and abilities in my quake

19. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

They're not a huge deal, plus, I think you can disable them for a custom game. I honestly forget they exist a lot of the time.

20. SOAREVERSOR

SOAREVERSOR [H]Lite

QL is old and they needed to update the game. You can disable classes in custom matches.

chockomonkey likes this.