Quake Champions Debut Gameplay Trailer

HardOCP News

[H] News
Oh crap! Bethesda and id Software put out a Quake Champions gameplay trailer and it actually looks pretty good. From what I could see in the one minute trailer, the gameplay looks a lot like the Quake deathmatch days of old. Even the level design looks familiar.

Blog_omnichannel_commerce-had_my_curiosity_now_have_my_attention.jpg

It looks great. But I am scared. If it uses the same engine as Doom, and why wouldn't it... I doubt I'll be able to play on PC. I played the Doom demo for about 10 minutes then I thought my head was about to explode. This looks like more of the super fast moving camera action. While Doom is fine on PS4 and doesn't bug my head so much... Quake has to be a PC game. Playing it on a console would just be ...wrong.

It looks great. But I am scared. If it uses the same engine as Doom, and why wouldn't it... I doubt I'll be able to play on PC. I played the Doom demo for about 10 minutes then I thought my head was about to explode. This looks like more of the super fast moving camera action. While Doom is fine on PS4 and doesn't bug my head so much... Quake has to be a PC game. Playing it on a console would just be ...wrong.

So wait, what about the Doom demo made your head hurt? I'm genuinely curious because I have not heared of this sort of thing on a game-to-game basis...

this could be over the top if they include in some level the most famous and heralded weapon in gaming history...................................the great Quake 2..................BFG !

Quake and Unreal..... jesus this is going to be one hell of a bloodbath year coming up!

Unfortunately, it's multi-player so...NOPE.

Gonna disagree with you on this one. I usually don't go for pure multiplayer games, but UT and Quake are the exception.

Hell, I STILL play UT2K4 from time to time.

I'm so glad this is coming out. Finally a FPS that is 100% about skill and not the unlock/level bullshit that has infested BF/CoD. I'm seriously glad this generation has this. That said, I no longer have the reflexes to be even remotely competitive, so I'll probably just watch the odd stream of it and likely competitions.

Given what ID and Bethsida have been doing, I am willing to bet this thing is going to be a Vulkan beast too. Might be the first game I purchase with Vulkan (doom has my curiosity, but not my full interest after a lackluster multi player mode).

Hope it comes with a server browser and dedicated servers, because the Doom multiplayer sucked without it, not to mention those stupid loadouts which seemed wrong.

This game would have been better with a SP campaign as well but still somewhat curious to see what this game will offer.

100% more rocket jumping, than well, everything else! Can you imagine the shit-storm if they removed rocket jumping?

Hmm... Looks good to me... Day -300 buy for sur :p

So where is that thread with all the fucking morons saying it was going to suck?

For the more refined palate.

In all seriousness though, this is a great year to be a PC gamer.

O M Goodness...I wept when I saw the shrapnel gun!!!! This is a theme in general, and I'm almost going to say it has to do with Trump. Yes, I know, I've talked about him a few times, so what. It's one of those things man, the world has gone in the wrong direction for the last 10ish years and is just getting worse and worse. People are remembering the 80's and 90's and going, damn, that was a good time. Let's do that again! Let's Make America (and PC gaming) Great Again! When games were games because of content and story, not graphics and binary human beings. Give modding back to the community, stop releasing 50 DLC's that aren't even finished for .99c. UT was a great game, not the best, but great when it was released. Yes, it's a great year to be a PC gamer. Happy to be one! And no, I don't want to "regress", I love technology, it's ingrained in my life as an NA. Just use common sense FFS. Very lacking this day in age.

just want to see rapha go out and rustle jimmies again. as long as the pros actually pick the game up...

Speaking of Jimmies...someone try this. Go to JJ's and ask for tomatoes on the side, well IF your kids HAPPEN to be allergic to them, when they refuse because of some crazy top down regulations. Complain.

FWEE SAMMEECHES?

Thing about Quake for me has always been this: Frame rate is life. That was the old maxim/standard that serious Quake players lived by meaning that no matter how powerful the hardware they had they would generally turn off all the pretty graphical features to get the highest possible frame rates to keep things running Teflon slick and smooth. For Quake that meant 3Dfx hardware using the GLide API - note we're referring to Quake here, not Quake II or III which did better with straight OpenGL since 3Dfx became 3dfx during that gap between Quake and Quake II and basically fell apart at the same time sadly.

I watched that gameplay video and realized it's like taking the most basic graphical features in Quake on GLide/OpenGL and cranking them to "Ludicrous speed" in some respects. :)

Gimme a grappling hook mod and I'm good to go, but even on a super powerful SLI box I think I'd still end up disabling all the pretty shiny bullshit to get to the serious play and I don't think I'm alone.

Well once you broke the 160fps? mark (which was stupid easy) it became a benefit to remove the wall textures so players stood out like a sore thumb.

Quake and Unreal..... jesus this is going to be one hell of a bloodbath year coming up!

UT is nowhere close to being finished though as it's only in pre-alpha still (been so for maybe 2 years now?) and I'd predict it still needs like 3 years possibly as the dev team for the project is is VERY small, perhaps they get some of of those paragon devs as that game becomes finished, maybe. But at this time the game moves rather slowly. Also the community dev effort that they are doing isn't so "community-driven". :p

This Quake game, the first thing that stood out is that it's fairly slow paced for a Quake game and the characters are HUGE. Well the whole scaling of the game looks pretty big so it's maybe what makes it feel so slow possibly, UT for example the scaling looks quite different and maybe that's why it feels so much faster. Doesn't mean I necessarily think it's a bad thing, it probably helps to gain some mainstream appeal.

OH and then we also have
From going from lackluster presence in Arena FPS we suddenly almost get overcrowded with the formula. :p There's also the Reflex and Toxikk (looks like it will fail, no suprise tho as they copied SO much from UT it's funny)

Last edited:
Well once you broke the 160fps? mark (which was stupid easy) it became a benefit to remove the wall textures so players stood out like a sore thumb.

Some considered that cheating, but every graphics card can do crazy texture MIP dumping.

that's why ive started referring to it as uncommon sense...

I KNOW RIGHT. Try going a day through YouTube or Facebook comments without facepalming, I dare you.

Common sense should be educated in schools to millenials these days...

Common sense should be educated in schools to millenials these days...

But that's the problem: you can't teach common sense, you either have it or you don't, and unfortunately the best way to say it nowadays is "Common sense just isn't anymore..." :(

Looking good, but I'm still not sold. What made Quake 3 so amazing was the mods....and nothing since ID Tech 4 is moddable for shit. I really hope I'm wrong and they release a modding dev kit. I spent thousands of hours playing Q3 between Vanilla, Rocket Arena, and Threewave (god I miss CTFS).

Back