Quake 4.

Thunder888

Limp Gawd
Anybody have any idea what's going on with Q4?

I've done a google, but couldn't seem to find anything. I think the doom 3 engine was pretty cool, so if they jack up the storyline to that of Quake, we should have a stunning game to look forward to.

if they use the D3 engine that is at least 1/3rd of the work, no? all that is left is to make the content. how long can it take?

darkpark said:
if they use the D3 engine that is at least 1/3rd of the work, no? all that is left is to make the content. how long can it take?

i hope to GOD they arent using the same netcode as d3, for it to be the incredible multiplayer they are claiming it will be they will have to do some serious work on that netcode or else it's mp will suck just as much as d3's

Techx said:
i hope to GOD they arent using the same netcode as d3, for it to be the incredible multiplayer they are claiming it will be they will have to do some serious work on that netcode or else it's mp will suck just as much as d3's

doom3 engine + quake 3 net code + better lighting and level design = the winner

Rob94hawk said:
A preview of Quake4 in PCGamer a couple of months ago. Great screen shots.

I remember everyone talking about the screenshots, but never found a page that hosted them. Could you link me?

They also said Q4s main focus was going to be single player. NOT multiplayer.

:(

A direct quote from the Quake 4 preview:

"Well, in terms of single-player, Quake IV picks up where Quake II left off," says Eric Biessman, project lead on the game. "But the multiplayer experience is more akin to Quake III: Arena." Say what? Multiplayer akin to Quake III? Hallelujah and praise to all things good.

"This is a continuation of the Quake series," smile lead programmer Rick Johnson. "We felt Quake IV would be better served by capturing the things that made Quake III great. We've got hyper-fast action, deadly weapons, bounce pads, trick moves - you name it. Die hard fans will feel right at home."

Needless to say I'm excited about this game. Go see it all for yourself:

http://www.nofrag.com/2004/sep/13/13802/

Steel Chicken said:
doom3 engine + quake 3 net code + better lighting and level design = the winner

Hot damn! I'm of same opinion. Now it boils down to "when the hell".

darkpark said:
From the screenshots they had in PC Gamer, they are using tons of the original models too, so the game should have been 80% complete from the beginning. ;)

Q4 multi will truly make me happy. I haven't uninstalled Q3 for years, it's still incredibly fun.

MrWoot said:

And we all know Doom 3's single player rocked!

Sorry. :(

If Quake 4 has co-op out of the box, I'm there. Quake 2 was a lot of fun co-op.

Probably won't be out for at least another year, so I won't get too excited yet. This is where the hype will start and will eventually grow to a level that no game short of perfect will be able to reach.

Ashtaka said:
If Quake 4 has co-op out of the box, I'm there. Quake 2 was a lot of fun co-op.

That's the only reason I'd get it. The "You are a space marine, blow up stuff" storyline got old in...1997.

MrWoot said:

I hope you mis-head.

Is Id getting dumb? We saw how many lackluster reviews D3 got. MP with decent maps may have save face.

From those scans, the graphics look a little better than D3. Sure D3's lighting and effects looked good but we were missing that one thing that catches 90% of people's eye when looking for good gramphics. High resolution textures and high poly counts. D3 failed on both those accounts and the lighting hardly makes up for it.

Someone needs to convert Quake 3 to the Doom 3 engine. That would be sweet!!!

Quake 4 Cant wait Wish there were more peopling playing Quake 3 Arena... old memorys.. :D

Staples said:
Is Id getting dumb? We saw how many lackluster reviews D3 got. MP with decent maps may have save face.

Three points:

1) Doom 3 got good reviews. They weren't exceptional, but they weren't "lackluster."
2) Id isn't developing Quake IV.
3) Q4 multiplayer will probably be like Q3's.

MrWoot said:

Remember when they said that about Doom 3 and not only did the multiplayer suck, but the single player sucked even more?

:confused:

Yeah..... good times...

S1nF1xx said:
Remember when they said that about Doom 3 and not only did the multiplayer suck, but the single player sucked even more?

:confused:

Yeah..... good times...
i remember that

Come on this is Quake we're talking about here. That would be like buying UT2K4 for the single player campaign. It's all about the multi when it comes to Quake.

I can hear the thunderous noises of the Quake 4 Hype Machine on the horizon...

They said it would be more like Quake 2, fucking awesome. Best Quake in the series.

I personally prefer Quake3 for multi. Quake2 was stupendous though and is a close second.

Wow so many quake 3 players. Everyone whip out your old copy of quake 3 and lets play! :D

Jasonx82 said:
Quake 4 Cant wait Wish there were more peopling playing Quake 3 Arena... old memorys.. :D
Gamespy always reports pretty high numbers of people playing Q3 online. Are they mostly bots?

LOL is that what people use now adays for Q3 The last time i installed it I checked in the built in multiplayer search and saw like 3 people playing lol then I thought it was dead. :D

LOL I forget one time I was playing Quake 3? or something similiar I didnt know it was a bot so I kept talking to him at the end i was like wtf dont ignore me hahah alol boy that was some funny shit.. well to me at least :D

Staples said:
Gamespy always reports pretty high numbers of people playing Q3 online. Are they mostly bots?

Did somebody say QII?

quake98.jpg

quake93.jpg

quake94.jpg

quake88.jpg

quake87.jpg

quake83.jpg

quake74.jpg

quake70.jpg

quake69.jpg

quake60.jpg

quake51.jpg

quake49.jpg

quake47.jpg

quake38.jpg

quake35.jpg

quake33.jpg

quake06.jpg

quake04.jpg

quake01.jpg

Taken yesterday and today with a MSI GF2 GTS Pro 64mb in a P3 650@670mhz Coppermine on an Abit BE 6 board and using W2K Pro OS, 320mbs ram etc.
Someone was throwing out this box along with an Asus P3v board and a 466 Celeron etc because " They ran out of space and don't work good anymore"
HEH, :D

Bloefield thanks for bringing back such fond memories... :)
sweet nostalgia...

The 2 mission packs for Q2 where just as good as the game itself I think. And I played the single player tons before i ventured into online MP when the cable modem came out.

Jasonx82 said:
LOL is that what people use now adays for Q3 The last time i installed it I checked in the built in multiplayer search and saw like 3 people playing lol then I thought it was dead. :D

LOL I forget one time I was playing Quake 3? or something similiar I didnt know it was a bot so I kept talking to him at the end i was like wtf dont ignore me hahah alol boy that was some funny shit.. well to me at least :D
http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/

You can see how many people are playing Q3 online right now. It says 2364 right now. I am sure at least half of those have to be people. I have never seen a game totally overrun with bots. (it is however something about UT2004 that annoys me).

Damn! I was under the impression the game would be out this year sometime! From what I read in PCG the devs. were more focused on the singleplayer game versus the multiplayer game.

I'd expect them to release a multiplayer add-on after they release Quake 4 because it would make more $$$$$$$.

Back