Quake 4 performance.

ITSTHINKING

[H]ard|Gawd
I was playing quake 4 last night for the first time in a long while. I initialy set the setting to ultra high with the resolution @1280x1024 with 8xaa( i believe that gamma aa and trans aa were enabled.) Now I'm not even sure if this isn't normal as I'm not really fimiliar with quake 4 performance but the game seemed really laggy. I was under the impression that quake 4 would run fast enough on my hardware (in sig) that 8xaa would be acceptable. But I could be very mistaken. When I turned down the aa to 4x (application preference, used in game settings) and made sure gamma aa and trans aa was off the game ran smooth. So I guess my question is, is this performance normal? Or should it run better with 8xaa on?

Oh and also in the profile for quake 4 in the drivers it won't let me change the af setting. I can see a crap load of shimmering or what look's like moving texures with whatever the game set's the af to default. There's no af tab in the advanced settings of the games video options either. Any Ideas?

ITSTHINKING said:
Oh and also in the profile for quake 4 in the drivers it won't let me change the af setting. I can see a crap load of shimmering or what look's like moving texures with whatever the game set's the af to default. There's no af tab in the advanced settings of the games video options either. Any Ideas?
you cant change AF setting in Nvidia control panel for Doom3 or Quake4. Nvidia global settings for AF dont do anything in Doom3 or Quake4 either but I get sick of arguing with people about that. AF only changes within the game with you select from Low, Med, High, or Ultra. High and Ultra are both 8x AF.

What drivers are you using? I'm running 7900GTX SLI and my performance in the game is nothing to write home about :p But now running 84.21drivers and see a big improvement over 91.33 beta drivers at least in this game.

trek554 said:
you cant change AF setting in Nvidia control panel for Doom3 or Quake4. Nvidia global settings for AF dont do anything in Doom3 or Quake4 either but I get sick of arguing with people about that. AF only changes within the game with you select from Low, Med, High, or Ultra. High and Ultra are both 8x AF.

Thats weird, I pretty sure your right though because when I tried global settings to force 16x there was no difference. Funny though because i've seen benchmarks on the internet of quake 4 saying 16xaf :LOL:

ITSTHINKING said:
Thats weird, I pretty sure your right though because when I tried global settings to force 16x there was no difference. Funny though because i've seen benchmarks on the internet of quake 4 saying 16xaf :LOL:
I KNOW. Nobody would listen to me. The only way to do 16x AF in Doom3 and Quake4 is to edit the config file or rename the game something else then the global settings for AF will actually work. I spent hours running tests so I know for a fact that this is true.

Sounds about right to me. I can play it at 8x aa no probs at ultra settings, 1680x1050 on my rig. With one card I had to knock it back to 4x. I did try 16x aa and altho one step above a slideshow in terms of smoothness, i really didn't see that much of a difference over 8x.

Wicked game tho.

is 1280x1050 the max esolution you have or are you not able to get it to size to your screen correctly??? I just ask, as I know how to make the game (any D3 engine game for that matter) size to any native resolution without reg edits. PM me for details. Its short sweet and simple......

Solo

Back