Quake 4 Multiplayer Performance Poll

What resolution do you run Q4 multiplayer at and get 60fps constantly?

• Total voters

halcyon

Gawd
I was curious what resolutions and settings people have found to give a constant (or VERY near constant) 60fps experience across large multiplayer games? I have been very surprised because I run a Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @ 2600mhz with a XFX 7800GTX (490mhz core 1300 mem) and have found that to get a solid 60 or with very few and minor dips ive gotta run max 1280x1024 no aa/af, with a bunch of stuff turned off, most notably shadows etc. So this poll is to find out what resolutions everyone else is running at, and your hardware. Please comment on if you get a constant 60 or not. I found levels with particularly heavy strains are the edge as well as bloodworks with lots of people.

Need to add to the pole : Not getting constant 60fps! :)

I have a P4 3.4ghz, 1gb ballistix, BFG 6800ultra 256mb AGP. Even on MEDIUM setting with 800x600, AA off, vsync off, shadows off, I still drop in the 40's when playing with a few peoples.

My bro has a AMD 3700+ A64, 1gb RAM, BFG 7800gtx 256mb pcix. He can run HIGH settings with 1600x1200, a off, vsync off, shadows ON and gets constant 60 fps almost every where, no matter how many people.

makes no sense to me. :confused:

Also I forgot to mention if anyone is running 7800GT/GTX Sli id be interested to know what the rest of your hardware is, and what settings you run at and how your framerate is.

One thing I've noticed on most vid card benchmarks is people list an average framerate over a demo, sadly in multiplayer these people must not have a clue because average means a lot less than minimum. Its the minimums that will kill you. Try railing someone when your getting 10-15fps... good luck. I would much rather see fraps graphs showing minumums over heavy duty multiplayer demo runs.

Rail gods can pull off hits regardless I would contend. Part of it is that force thing. LIke Luke, let go with your feelings. So fps is irrelevant for those brief minimum times. Believe me, I remember when people were just getting broadband, and some kept playing with just 56k, so their ping was say 300 vs. a cable whore (I believe that was siad) had a 60 ping. And yet the 300 ping guy learned how to hit anyway. So I guess I went off on a latency related tangent. But you get my point. :D

I don't. I play at 1024x768 medium quality and get fairly steady 30's. It may not be super smooth, but it is playable, and I don't do too badly. The one glaring exception would be the Longest Day map where if there is anyone else on the map, I'm < 20.

Ya but there is a huge difference between lag and low fps.. with lag the game makes up for it with prediction, so if you see the guy and you pull the trigger aiming at him your gonna hit him. With fps if its jerky on the way to aiming at the guy your odds are going way down on actually hitting him.

I run at 1280 1024 no AA, all options on in "High" quality mode.. I refuse to keep my FPS counter on the screen, I find that I when I do I keep watching my FPS instead of playing the game. It runs fine, even with 16 people on the server... Video lag is only apparent on certain maps in certain areas, I think it has more to do with poor optimization than my system having problems.

KuJaX said:
Need to add to the pole : Not getting constant 60fps! :)

I have a P4 3.4ghz, 1gb ballistix, BFG 6800ultra 256mb AGP. Even on MEDIUM setting with 800x600, AA off, vsync off, shadows off, I still drop in the 40's when playing with a few peoples.

My bro has a AMD 3700+ A64, 1gb RAM, BFG 7800gtx 256mb pcix. He can run HIGH settings with 1600x1200, a off, vsync off, shadows ON and gets constant 60 fps almost every where, no matter how many people.

makes no sense to me. :confused:

The P4 chugs along compared to most A64 systems.

Back