Quake 4 low-res texture problem

M'ichal

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I got a weird problem with Q4. Namely, whatever I set the graphics quality to, when I start playing the textures look like they are very low res and blurry. I got an A64 3000 (OC'd to 2.4Gh) and GF6600GT it shuld run fine on Medium quality which looks decent, nothing like what it looks on my comp. I run other games (D3, FEAR etc) fine. It's just this game that has this weird problem with textures.

Anyone know anything about this? I searched the net, but nothing really came up :(

Thanx for any input.

PS. I got the newst patch and video drivers.

Driver setting can over ride in game settings. First off make sure that your drivers Opengl texture quality setting is set to Performance or Quality...

The image_downsize setting is a culprit in Q4's config file or console. The problem was related to newer ATI cards at the time and Q4's hardware detection.

Da Frechman said:
Driver setting can over ride in game settings. First off make sure that your drivers Opengl texture quality setting is set to Performance or Quality...

The image_downsize setting is a culprit in Q4's config file or console. The problem was related to newer ATI cards at the time and Q4's hardware detection.

Well, i set the Application settings for Quake 4 in nVidia's driver to Quality but it didn't help.
What was that last part u wrote about image_downsize? What about it?

I'd give general setting a try. I haven't always gotten consistent results from nVidia's game profile settings.

I don't have Quake installed right now, this is by memory and the directory structure may be a little off. I haven't heard of Q4 problems with nVidia video cards.

The easiest way to do it will be to cut and paste (move) q4config.cfg from your Quake 4 install directory. It should be someplace like C:\Program Files\idsoftware\Quake4\q4base\q4config.cfg. Move the file temporarily someplace like your desktop.

This cause Q4 to rewrite the file, resetting all audio and video settings as well as your keyboard bindings the next time Quake 4 is run

If there's problems starting the game or getting into the gameplay alittle, just move the file back where your found it. If everything is OK, feel free to delete the file you just moved.

If that fails.

Open q4config.cfg in a text editor like note pad, then look for the line "image_downsize" (without the quotes), it'll probably set for "1" and you'll probably want to change it to "0".

Should look like this

seta image_downsize "1"
and change it to
seta image_downsize "0"

If that fails, copy and paste the contents of q4config.cfg in your next post and we'll try and do it manually. Also let us know how much ram you've got.

Hey. Actually, b4 reading ur 2nd post I played with the config file and finally got it to work after changing multiple "image_..." properties. Nothing helped though until i changed the "image_downsize..." setting to 0. No I just gotta choose optimal settings cause at 1280 the game kinda lagged a bit.
Thanks a lot for ur help!

You're right, what I was describing was the easiest way to do it. It's been a while since I've been to tweak guides, thanks for the pointer.

On a side note, a lot of people here have reported the game looking much better at 1024 then higher resolutions. If you've got the extra fps at 1024, maybe consider upping AA to 2 or 4.

Back