• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Quad Xeon might be dead

surrealillusion

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 10, 2009
Messages
132
So I've got a lab server I've been slowly rebuilding from what I bought it for to get a fully working dual quad xeon x5500 series server with tons of RAM and NICs.

I was running into some serious heating issues using only the passive heatsinks and no shroud so I got one off ebay. It helped marginally with temps as the x5560 ES was up to 75C and the x5570 would pop up to 85C.

Not satisfied I ordered active cooling for the my supermicro setup and they arrived yesterday. Fantastic I thought, I'll give the cores a clean down with rubbing alcohol coffee filters (since they don't leave bits of fibre behind). After cleaning both and setting them back into place, I went to go lock the second CPU in and something didn't latch on and I heard a snap. I looked and didnt' see anything really wrong so I checked the hinge and lined things up to lock into place a second time and everything was fine.

Upon booting it up my board only showed one working CPU and half of the ram I have installed.

Swapping the x5570 into CPU slot 1 the systems powers on for like 2 seconds then shuts off. Putting the working x5560 into CPU slot 2 just gets me beeps (probably telling me you put the processor in the wrong slot if you want to boot with a single xeon).

This leaves me with the frustration that I will need a new board (as I'm sure the third channel on CPU1 for ram is now shot because I see some physical scratch marks around CPU slot 2 on some traces). But I'm hoping that somehow the x5570 is still working and perhaps it may be that the contacts on the CPU may not be entirely clean (even though I can't see anything).

So my question to fellow ]H[ is, does cleaning the pin side with an eraser and then using a toothbrush with rubbing alcohol actually work? I'd love to be able to salvage both CPU's so at least I'd only have to buy a new board.
 
Back
Top