Become a Patron!

Quad Socket Older E5?

Discussion in 'Multiprocessing Systems' started by Epyon, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Epyon

Epyon Gawd

Never built a system with more then 1 cpu. System will be used for a Keyshot work flow. Keyshot only uses Cpu cores.

Motherboard-Supermicro X9QRI-F
    Cpu-Xeon E5-2660 v2 Ivy Bridge-EP

The mother board says supports E5 4600 class so I am not sure these 2 match up but the cpu i picked is E5 class. (after looking deeper it looks like it does not but please confirm

Do you know of cheaper Quad socket motherboards for that cpu please post. I would like to use that cpu or build a Quad socket system were the Xeon cpu are around $600 or less.

Video card
    SSD
    Ram i can pick those out my self but the cpu and Quad socket mother board are what i have questions on.

https://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-MBD-X9QRI-F-B-X9QRI-F-Motherboard/dp/B00B2W81LK
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAEE53D6382

2. iamwhoiamtoday

iamwhoiamtoday Limp Gawd

If you want to use four CPUs on that motherboard, they need to be of the E5-4600 series.

The board will take two of the E5-2600 series, but not four.

Realistically, if you really want a quad socket system, look at used Dell R910 / R920 setups. They use a lot of power, and are very loud. However, they are extremely powerful.

However, you might want to look at just running a dual socket system with the E5-2600 CPUs.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-S2600...-Xeon-2x-E5-2620-cpus-2x-1gb-NIC/192237928918

That wouldn't break the bank, gives you lots of cores, and gives you a platform that you can readily expand. (Better CPUs with more Cores, tons of memory, storages, etc)

3. chx

chx Gawd

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  4. Blue Fox

Blue Fox [H]ardForum Junkie

Incorrect. E5-46xx does quad socket. E7 line is only needed for 8 socket setups (E7-88xx). There's actually a dual socket version of the E7 line too (E7-28xx). The first digit in the model number (after the product line) designates how many sockets it supports.

Generally you're better off just getting a couple higher core count E5-26xx CPUs though. Availability on quad socket capable CPUs isn't great past the base models for a reasonable price, not to mention clock speeds are generally lower.

5. chx

chx Gawd

I stand corrected.

6. chx

chx Gawd

Ah yes! It's the number of QPI links, isn't it? E5 will only talk to two CPUs while E7 talks to three.

7. bwang

bwang Gawd

Are you looking to buy new or used? 402blowstoker from the [H]orde had a solid deal on a used E5 system in the FS/FT section a couple weeks back, and I'd be interested in parting with the one in my sig for a low price as well. Correct price for a used system is 500 for the board, 150-200 each for the CPU's.
    Buying new will cost you, it's a hair under 1k for the motherboard and 1500 or so for some decent-performing CPU's.