Quad G34 low points on WCG

WesM63

2[H]4U
I recently picked up a quad g34 6234 system. It hasn't hit full ppd yet but even what i'm seeing so far seems low.

TttqO65.png

Just wondering if anyone out there is running this project on quad interlagos systems or not. I've read tons of F@H but I can't directly apply it. Then again, maybe i'm just jumping the gun. I spent some money on this and it appears to be outrun by older 24core Istanbul system (4x 8435's) at a fraction of the cost.

The specs are in my sig, but Supermicro H8QG6-F, 4x 6234 and 16x 8GB (128GB total) Samsung DDR3-1333 modules (Reg ECC) currently running 2k8 r2 enterprise.

That is about right, I think my 6276 rig @ 2975Mhz was getting about 170K PPD after about a week of running the last time I ran WCG. If you have only been running for 3 days you probably have more WU's waiting for validation than you have validated.

If you want to get the full potential of the rig you will need to run tears OCNG 5 bios and Linux OS and you will need good cooling to keep those puppy's cool. Do not expect F@H type PPD Boinc does not use a QRB like fah does.

Thanks for the input. Kinda blows, I guess i could go through the hassle of flashing to the OCNG bios but can't run linux as it's not a dedicated system. (Cooling isn't an issue at the moment, it's in the basement where it's a cool 50F ambient)

Does Magny Cours or Abu Dhabi perform any better/worse?

At this point i'm seriously contemplating going a different direction. The cost and noise for the performance doesn't seem to be there.

You may even want to consider using a virtual machine. The VINA apps can be up to 50% faster under Linux. So even with the VM overhead, you would be coming out ahead on those apps. Just food for thought.

You may even want to consider using a virtual machine. The VINA apps can be up to 50% faster under Linux. So even with the VM overhead, you would be coming out ahead on those apps. Just food for thought.

I thought about doing this but most people advised against it. Have you done it or know of someone doing it?

I have done it in the past. I run such a wide variety of projects that I don't typically mess with it. Some of the other projects use virtualbox for their work units and so running a VM inside a VM isn't typically recommended. The reason people advise against it is that it doesn't benefit all apps. So, if you are running apps that don't benefit much from Linux, then you are losing ground. Fight Aids At Home is one of the VINA apps and so you see the speed up on that project.

Ok, that makes sense. I don't have any specific projects set, just whatever wu it gets, it runs. Mostly MCM right now.

Although, I might change it to MCM exclusively for now.

Here is a post where I have linked some handy charts to give an idea of which sub projects are paying out the best. http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041121176&postcount=5

Also, FAAH just announced that they aren't making any new work units, so there is about 1 years worth in the que to send out. If you have badge hunting in mind or other goals, you may want to watch their progress closely. WCG is also working on getting 2 more sub projects up and going soon too.

Also, here is a link to a chart handy for gauging how much work a sub project has. (note that some projects are ongoing and will add work as needed) http://s137.photobucket.com/user/Sekerob/media/WCGYearsPi1Project.png.html

Last edited:
Back