Quad core Phenom 9600.. need suggestions for something new.

phaelinx

Gawd
Hey everyone.. so I have an old CPU in my "gaming" rig that I think needs to be upgraded.

I have a Phenom 9600 that I am finally feeling the pinch of it's slowness.

I recently got a Macbook Pro(mid 2012 model), that I threw an SSD in, and 16GB of ram. It has an Intel HD 4000 video card and it does circles around my gaming rig which is a 9600, SSD, 4gb ram and 2 6970 video cards in crossfire X config.

I have the ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe motherboard which says it supports the 6 core CPU, Phenom IIX6 1100T(HDE00ZFBK6DGR),3.3GHz,125W,rev.E0,SocketAM3,6-Core.

Is it even worth it tossing in that CPU if I can find it? would I expect much better performance? at least onpar with my macbook? I only really play Diablo 3 and can see a bit more lag/slowness on my 9600 than the Macbook..

I think the upgrade would be a good one I would definitely think the 9600 is certainly holding back your 6970 crossfire setup. The 6 core Phenom cpus can be hard to find and can be a bit pricey. I think you should look at getting either the Phenom II 965 or 955 quad core black edition cpus. They will be around $30-$50 cheaper and there isn't much out there that takes advantage of more than 4 cores. These cpus also OC easily, the more you can OC the cpu the less it will bottleneck your gpus.

I think the upgrade would be a good one I would definitely think the 9600 is certainly holding back your 6970 crossfire setup. The 6 core Phenom cpus can be hard to find and can be a bit pricey. I think you should look at getting either the Phenom II 965 or 955 quad core black edition cpus. They will be around $30-$50 cheaper and there isn't much out there that takes advantage of more than 4 cores. These cpus also OC easily, the more you can OC the cpu the less it will bottleneck your gpus.

I second the recommendation for a quad-core Phenom II. They are cheaper and more readily available, though if you can snag a Phenom II hex-core cheap, they are still great CPUs (I used to have a 1090T @ 4GHz). They will definitely be a noticeable improvement over the first gen Phenom you currently have.

It is too bad your current board is not DDR3. You can get the FX6300 and a decent motherboard for around what the Phenom II 1100Ts are going for on Ebay.

you can always try for a 960t chip as well. It's a native quad-core, which can be unlocked to a 6 core chip. I have one and love it.

Good luck finding an 1100t on here. On eBay they regularily go for $200 and up, with the 1090t models hovering $10 or $20 below that. Even a quad core Phenom II (using a 955 ATM) is fairly fast and bests the last of the Core 2 processors, and would be a significant upgrade.

I say quad or hex, go for it.

A Phenom II 965 Black Edition would probably be your best best. A quad is all you need in general and it's easier to overclock a BE. Take a look at For Sale forums, ebay, craigslist, etc.

I wanted a hex-core Phenom 2 and went with a 1035T, I'm running it at 4GHz with an H100i. Not bad for a 2.7GHz chip. :D

I would say that is it worth the upgrade for sure. However, did you ever run the program that disables the TLB patch for Phenom processors? Mind you, it will not be equal to a Phenom II X6 but, you still get the full performance of the 9600 back.

Back