QUAD CORE MY .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
MrGuvernment said:
It would be awsome, now for software companies to get off their asses and code for multi-core a hell of alot faster!
if it were only that easy.

(cf)Eclipse said:
regardless of what the temps reported by a cheapass sensor with a cheapass sensor chip on the mobo, the fact remains that intel rates TDP at a sorta idle state. actual power output can be higher than what intel specifies.
amd on the other hand, uses a completely bloated figure that represents the power draw assuming max supported vcore, max supported temp, and something silly like every transistor flipping states at the same time. something we will never hit irl, so the max realworld tdp is lower than the specified tdp.. probably like 75-80% in most cases ;)
and btw, the thermal sensor in K8 is inside the cpu. not out.

This is not the case. Arguably, Intel's TDP are more overrated than AMD's now.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/core2duo-shootout/power-2.png

drizzt81 said:
when that chip comes out, you will need it for AIM, 79 cores to load and run the ads and one for the conversations.

QFT

Pkirk618 said:
80 cores?

dumb.

Give me a proggy that'll make use of 80 cores let alone 4 or even the rare proggies for 2 cores. Fuckers--I don't give a shit about that.

Now where's my dog :D

Easy, any program that runs on a grid can make use of that.

Any raytracer, rendering system, etc

Any Sci App, like Molecules Folding, Astronomical Apps. Or any other HPC app...

The thing is and had always been, tech flows from HPC into the Home systems, sooner or later...

MrGuvernment said:
And at the time Intel and people thought 10GHZ had no boundaries either.... and it would be a piece of cake - but look! they ran into boundaries, same applies here. One cant say what limitations they may run into, or new problems that will come up.

It would be awsome, now for software companies to get off their asses and code for multi-core a hell of alot faster!

and i wouldnt care if my cpu was the size of an x1900XT, to have 80 cores on it ?

everyone wants everything to be microscopic, if i can get that many cores, i dont care if the cpu is the size of a mid tower case!

I liked what you say because it hits on common sense... But anyways the trends are to go mobile and for that you need to.... shrink shrink shrink. and about the 10 Ghz blame intel's MArchitecture.

Enduring_Warrior said:
I liked what you say because it hits on common sense... But anyways the trends are to go mobile and for that you need to.... shrink shrink shrink. and about the 10 Ghz blame intel's MArchitecture.

For me, i am the type of guy who likes his stereo to be big, with seperate components, i love floor standing speakers with 12" woofers a mid rang and a tweater all in one!

so the size doesnt bother me, but unfortunatly, so many people do want mobile, and i do understand it, i dont take my Dell 9100 laptop with me anywhere now cause it weights 10lbs, i give my self web access to anything i need, so mobile is handy, but when it comes to being in my home, i dont care how big it is. :)

I love these kinds of threads. Suddenly, everyone is a computer scientist/engineer. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back