Quad Core - How long until upgrading ?

Webb

Limp Gawd
I currently have this CPU combined with 4Gigs of RAM and XFX HD-585X-ZNFC

I mainly play CoD 4 & Modern Warfare,so these game play fairly well,would this processor hold up another 2 years ? This would be okay for Bioshock 2 and CoD Black Ops ?

Thank you

Last edited:
I would say at Overclock it and be happy until Sandy Bridge/Bulldozer.
At 3.2Ghz it should be good for at least the next year.

I think you will be able to able to play those games even at stock clocks your GPU is awesome and the RAM wont be a bottleneck either so you are good to go for some time.
And anyways if you want to upgrade now you will have to upgrade the whole set up except the GPU
since the processor you are using is based on LGA 775
and the sandy bridge will be released in Q2 2011 for socket 2011 so no point upgrading now when you can play all the games on your current system

That processor has 3 more years left. Games are not progressing like they use to. There are a lot of console ports that run fine on older Pentium 4's. We've experienced a small backwards trend. I'm kind of glad. My quad QX6750 is staying in my system for at least 2 more years, or until 4.5 to 5ghz is considered high end and 4 the norm, along with better performance per cycle.

Yeah. PC game is suffering a sort of recession. Games are mostly console ports nowadays, they simply do not demand that much power from CPU and GPU as they used to. I still have my few years old E8200 that I have overclocked to 3,5ghz, and combined with HD4890 graphics card I have yet to encounter a new game that I couldnt run maxed out on 1920x1200 resolution. Except cryostasis but thats because it requires Nvidia Physx to work fast anyway. And as long as this port trend continues, I dont see CPU and GPU requirements go up any time soon. Hopefully next console generation comes soon and hopefully it is something powerful, something on par with nowaday PCs. Ports of those games could be good workout for our 2 year old PCs.

So my vote is on overclocking too. Get a good cooler for your CPU (look for reviews and comparisons in the net), good (and silent) fans and overclock it.

Overclock, and carry on. MaZa and dceremuga said it, and its unfortunate, but the money is in consoles, so we are getting the short end of the stick.

Your e-pen is oddly shape with that q6600.

You should upgrade if you want to have a big sexy e-pen.

A 2.4GHz stock Q6600 is a bit slow. I definetely notice a drop in framerate in Battlefield Bad Company 2 when at stock speed.

Overclock it to at least 3.0 - 3.6GHz.

Only one way to find out....wait. :p

I doubt they are that demanding (lousy consolitis). I've been wanting to upgrade my Q6600 for a while, but can't justify it. It is definitely the best purchase I've made for my computer.

Only one way to find out....wait. :p

I doubt they are that demanding (lousy consolitis). I've been wanting to upgrade my Q6600 for a while, but can't justify it. It is definitely the best purchase I've made for my computer.

What games are you playing right now ? :confused:

Oh my system is lagging as I am currently held back by my 8800gts. I still get decent enough frames for myself with it OC'ed to 3ghz. I only dabbled a bit with BF:BC 2 cause my friend was done with it and didn't care for it so it was uninstalled. Currently on Assassin's Creed II. Mostly been encoding movies though at the moment and just being out in general. Mostly though I think you are asking too far out. You can probably just starting saving and by the time you test out the game you can see if it is even worth it to upgrade.

I currently have this CPU combined with 4Gigs of RAM and XFX HD-585X-ZNFC

I mainly play CoD 4 & Modern Warfare,so these game play fairly well,would this processor hold up another 2 years ? This would be okay for Bioshock 2 and CoD Black Ops ?

Thank you

I currently have a Core 2 Quad Q8200, which is running on some random ASUS P35 board, paired with 4 GB of DDR2-800 and an ATI Radeon HD 5850. I am fairly certain that your CPU, very similar to mine, will be more than adequate for those two games mentioned. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 runs at a constant 60fps at 1920x1200 on my system with all options maxed out, not that that provides any indication of potential performance for a game that isn't even out yet. However, I do expect COD: Black Ops to be more highly-optimized for multi-core systems, so we should not expect to be bottle-necked on that end.

So, ultimately, if all you care about is gaming, your current CPU is fine. In my case, my Core 2 Quad is showings its age, mostly due to my constant H.264 encoding and Folding@Home.

Just my 2c.

Well I don't Fold,try once and my CPU was running @ 100% all the time.Yeah I should be fine for the next year or so.

Thanks

The system requirement states that any QC CPU would do it.

"system requirements" are just that.. the bare minimum to be able to run a game/program at all.

Just because a system meets the "system requirements" doesn't mean it will run it well.

That is like saying your system should be fine to run Vista if it has:

•1 gigahertz (GHz) 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
•1 gigabyte (GB) of system memory (512 megabytes (MB) for Home Basic)
•40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space (20 GB for Home Basic)
•Support for DirectX 9 graphics with WDDM and 128 MB of graphics memory (32 MB for Home Basic)
•DVD-ROM drive
•Audio Output
•Internet access (fees may apply)

Those are the system requirements.... but do you think it would run well at all? NOPE!

Q6600s, especially G0's, are great overclockers. In many cases, you can get to 3.0ghz (9*333mhz) without raising Vcore or other voltages.

at 3.0-3.6ghz, you should be good for at least another couple years.

i also own a q6600 oced at 2.8 but i can bring it up to 3.0 if i wanted but i would need to replace my heatsink probably due to temps going to the 50s. you should probably upgrade in 2 or 3 years

Quad's good for another couple of years - by then it's possible the gaming world will have woken up to 8 threads and x64, but I won't hold my breath...

Oh my system is lagging as I am currently held back by my 8800gts. I still get decent enough frames for myself with it OC'ed to 3ghz. I only dabbled a bit with BF:BC 2 cause my friend was done with it and didn't care for it so it was uninstalled. Currently on Assassin's Creed II. Mostly been encoding movies though at the moment and just being out in general. Mostly though I think you are asking too far out. You can probably just starting saving and by the time you test out the game you can see if it is even worth it to upgrade.

What were the frame rates/ setting in BC2?

I also have Q6600 and I am going to wait for 8(or more) core Sandy Bridge or Buldozer. So I expect to upgrade in Q3 2011.

Good to know - I was wondering myself when would be good to upgrade my Q6600 @ 3.2. If there's still some longevity there then I'll just upgrade my video card and try to get through at least the next year. Wtb Diablo 3.

well I would say OC it and go for the gold! :D

most the the q6600 will hit at least 3.2GHz

some of the newer ones are lucky if they hit 3.0GHz or even OC at all

Back