quad core for 1099

i'd probably splurge if i found a crossfire board to go with it :(

What high-end workstation motherboards are compatible with this chip? Which chipset do I need?

I have posted this question on several different boards, and have not received any sort of concrete info. It seems the people who have these chips are more concerned with break super pi and 3dmark benches than actually using them to power a workstation. From what I've found, the 975 series of Intel board seem to be quite well suited for workstation apps. Thw two inparticuar I have been looking at are the Asus p5w-32ws board and the Bad AXe 2.

mikeblas said:
What high-end workstation motherboards are compatible with this chip? Which chipset do I need?
According to Intel: A board with the 975X chipset.
However, it seems that in reality there are more options. Anand has an article with information about boards.

The-One said:
Why with ATI's 8800GTX out and about ?
So when the R600 drops ?

cause i have 2 x1900xt's that are still good to go, i dont want to have to change cards for awhile. That quadcore+mobo is going to be expensive enough :(

loafer87gt said:
I have posted this question on several different boards, and have not received any sort of concrete info. It seems the people who have these chips are more concerned with break super pi and 3dmark benches than actually using them to power a workstation. From what I've found, the 975 series of Intel board seem to be quite well suited for workstation apps. Thw two inparticuar I have been looking at are the Asus p5w-32ws board and the Bad AXe 2.
I dont understand this either, I dont use either as a benchmark, and wont

mikeblas said:

Any board that supports Conroe, is supposed to support quad core with just a BIOS update. Asus has a workstation board. I don't remember the model # b/c its too expensive for me to care about!

Crazy (consumer) mobo prices lately with $300-400 actually flying with some people.

loafer87gt said:
. Thw two inparticuar I have been looking at are the Asus p5w-32ws board and the Bad AXe 2.
I've heard of the BadAxe, but the Asus website has nothing on the P5W-32WS. Did you mean the P5W-64WS?

No worries! Thanks for the referral; I just wanted to make sure I ended up looking at the right board.

Do the 680i chipset motherboard support the QX6700?

LATER: oh, looks like they do, according to the Asus site.

Back