• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quad Core and THREE 9800GX2s

I just put together a system for the hell of it with a 780iFTW, 3 9800GX2, 3 HD's, 8GB mem, etc, etc and am using a Corsair HX1000. Handles full load no problems with power to spare (714 watts, measured with kil-o-wat)
 
Who on earth would buy 3x9800GX2 when you can get GTX 280s these days? I'd rather have one or two GTX 280s than three psuedo-sli cards that draw that much power.
 
It's not for gaming... I already have Sli with a couple of 280s. The three 9800GX2 are for a folding machine.
 
I just put together a system for the hell of it with a 780iFTW, 3 9800GX2, 3 HD's, 8GB mem, etc, etc and am using a Corsair HX1000. Handles full load no problems with power to spare (714 watts, measured with kil-o-wat)
How did you get full load on the system? Did you folding on the gpus?
 
How did you get full load on the system? Did you folding on the gpus?

pretty easily with either a Kill-A-Watt device or similiar or even some UPS Backups with USB connections to the PC and monitoring software like my RS1200 APC Battery Backup, shows real time draw on the UPS, so as long as you only have your PC plugged into it it will show you how much you draw at full load, idle, etc......whatever you are doing at the time it will show the load
 
pretty easily with either a Kill-A-Watt device or similiar or even some UPS Backups with USB connections to the PC and monitoring software like my RS1200 APC Battery Backup, shows real time draw on the UPS, so as long as you only have your PC plugged into it it will show you how much you draw at full load, idle, etc......whatever you are doing at the time it will show the load
I see, I have a UPS that does the same thing. Thanks for the info, it definitely helped me out. I can go with some Kilowatt PSU then.
 
I see, I have a UPS that does the same thing. Thanks for the info, it definitely helped me out. I can go with some Kilowatt PSU then.

You could probably get by with a solid 700-800W unit like the Corsair TX750 or BFG ES-800 as well.
 
Will you be running a client on the CPU or just GPU clients ??
I'd work on 200 watts per card plus 100-175 watts for the cpu, mobo, ram, etc, etc.
100 without a CPU client, 175 with.
Call it 750 watts from the wall.
Your PSU wants to be around 750 x 0.8 (efficency) x 2 (overhead) = 1200 watts.
Look at a 1,000-1,200 watts supply.

My 4x 9800GX2 rig only pulls 500 watts idle and 900 watts folding.
Powered from a 1,500 watts supply.

Luck ............. :D
 
I'd get the Corsair 1000W to keep some headroom and stay a bit more efficient.
 
Back
Top