• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q's about Hard Drives & Boot Floppy

cu2cool

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
141
Two questions I was wondering about:

1.) What are the benefits to partitioning a hard drive? I've always believed that it was to leave more memory available on the hard drive for temp files, ultimately to maximize performance. I also personally partition in the event that I need to reformat, I only have to reformat my C drive and not the whole hard disk.

2.) What is the purpose of having a bootable floppy? I created one and tested it out. All it did was boot in a DOS prompt. I couldn't find a way/command to access windows on my C drive, which is what I thought it was for.
 
You might want to try the Disk Storage section, they may be far more willing to accurately assist you there. IBTL.
 
It's a good way to keep your OS and programs separate from your data. For someone like me who has OS troubles way too often, it's nice to be able to just reformat that one partition.
 
mwarps said:
You might want to try the Disk Storage section, they may be far more willing to accurately assist you there. IBTL.

I did post their too, but no one responded...
 
With regards to the boot floppy--make sure your boot floppy's system knows how to read the format of the hard drive. For example, a Win98 boot floppy won't read NTFS. Boot disks are usually so you can do repairs on a non-functional system, but as you found out, it's not always very easy.

RE: partitioning--In an ideal world, you'd have at least two hard drives--one for the OS and programs, the other for data. That way, if one fails, the other will be fine. Partitioning is kind of a poor man's version of having multiple hard drives.
 
Well this doesn't fall under the guise of Distributed Computing, but maybe you can get some help in General Hardware.
 
Back
Top