• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

QPack upgrade list: Opinions?

Satyrist

Gawd
Joined
Mar 12, 2001
Messages
724
Here are the new things I'll likely get for my mobile gaming rig upgrade.

ASPIRE X-QPACK-BL/420 Black/Blue Aluminum MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 420W Power Supply
JetWay A210GDMS-Pro Socket 939 ATI RS480 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: A210GDMS-Pro
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail

I'll probably add in a Zalman 7000 HSF onto it too, it seems to be one of the few models that should cool well and not have horrid clearance issues with the support brace.

I'll be moving over my memory, (1gb ballistix) hdd, and PSU.. (350W Aurora FSP/Sparkle)

Undecided about whether to go 6800 or X800 though for the PCI-E.

Might just spring the ~$20 for a Liteon optical unit too, since it will alleviate clearance issues in the simplest manner (so far as no modding directly)

So far as the CPU; Is it a good choice, or ought I save a little money and get a slightly slower model instead? (and overclock it to closer/near its performance)

If getting a slower one, which one ought I look for above anything else?

If looking at budget, say it's around $600 or so...The list above totals at $507 (before shipping) so far.

THANKS!

thanks
 
If you game, you would get more out of a faster video card than a faster CPU. I'd probably get a 3200+ & overclock it & upgrade to a GT or XT. If you don't play alot of FarCry, probably the XT. nVidia seems to be hit or miss with their drivers on different games.
 
Do you think the power supply ought to suffice for a setup like this? I don't believe it has a pci-e connector for it natively, let alone a dedicated sata connector (need to check again though)

x800 or x850?

Ought the 3200+ be a Venice core?

thx again
 
Satyrist said:
Do you think the power supply ought to suffice for a setup like this? I don't believe it has a pci-e connector for it natively, let alone a dedicated sata connector (need to check again though)

x800 or x850?

Ought the 3200+ be a Venice core?

thx again
-Maybe. I would just run it until it pops! :p
-If there is an "XT" on the end of that, whatever is cheapest. X800XL would not be bad, but you can find an X800XT on the forums or eBay for around that price, so that's personally what I would do. The performance boost is probably worth it so you can push it to 4xAA in most games. All depends on what you play. Just go for 16 pipes.
-Venice. Should overclock nicely.
 
I emailed Jetway to get more info on their mobo but they have not responded yet...I thought I would update you guys on that. Many of you know that I am a little sketched on the Jetway, however, being the reasonable guy that I am, I thought I would go out and dig up more stones than anyone else...many I will buy both MSI and Jetway and do a review :)
 
Back
Top