• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Qpack questions

kasu-yama

n00b
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
4
I'm planning to build an x-pack consisting of:

CASE: Aspire X-Qpack (haven't decided on color yet)

MOTHERBOARD: Biostar Tfroce 6100 Socket 939 Micro ATX

VIDEO CARD: GeForce 6800

POWER SUPPLY: Antec Truepower II 550w

PROCESSOR: AMD Athlon X2 3800+

RAM: CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB 3.5" SATA 300MB/s Hard Drive

DISK DRIVE: LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner

TOTAL: $939.38

I'm Concern about the heat issue, do you guys think that with an Qpack it going to overheat?
 
motherboard - the GIGABYTE GA-K8N51GMF-9 is only $4 more, has the 430 SB, and is actually in stock.

videocard - i'd go with the 6800 GS for only $20 more

dvdrw - good choice I just got mine this weekend, it's very shallow but beware it's loud
 
Id get a better 120mm fan in the back, and have it as an intake. This lowered my temps by about 5C load (CPU) and ~3C (Case). I made a duct so it wouldnt be sucking in hot air from the PSU.
 
MassiveOverkill whats the difference between that hard drive then the one I have besides the size difference.

Although it going focus of gameing, I'm keeping the processor, not sure about the Gigabite motherboard, from some of the reviews I read, it might be problematic.
 
I would get a better video card, but I don't have any money my self, kinda on a budget cuz it my christmas prez from my parents and their giveing me a budget, I've pretty much hit it.

I"m not complaining this is going to be a drastic improvement from my current computer:
Intel P4 1.6 ghz
GeForce MX 4000 128mb :D
Some crazy motherboard I don't even know the name of
512 RAM (2, 256 ram cards)

So yea, I'm happy
 
That dual core CPU isn't going to help you in gaming nearly as much as a better video card with a regular single-core CPU. Why are you set on the dual core? Are you going to be doing alot of heavy multi-tasking?
 
Yes and no, I woulden't label myself as a heavy gamer so I don't have an issue with having the top of the line parts. Just enough, I do find myself with a good bit of mutitasking, photoshop and the such.
 
kasu-yama said:
I would get a better video card, but I don't have any money my self, kinda on a budget cuz it my christmas prez from my parents and their giveing me a budget, I've pretty much hit it.

Sigh, don't get the 6800 Vanilla is it just a BAD DEAL.

Skip lunch twice this week and get the GS.
 
If you multitask and do photoshop then get a dual core. I love mine, it makes a difference, especially in PS CS2. No if you only game then I would just get a venice core. But the X2 3800+ oc pretty well...
 
darktiger said:
If you multitask and do photoshop then get a dual core. I love mine, it makes a difference, especially in PS CS2. No if you only game then I would just get a venice core. But the X2 3800+ oc pretty well...

Keep in mind that many big games coming up next year are heavily multi-threaded...Unreal Tournament 2007, TES IV: Oblivion, etc. They will run noticeably faster on a dual-core system vs a single-core.

And remember that, having 3 cores, you can rest assured that all XBox360->PC ports in the coming years will run MUCH better on multi-core systems.

Advising someone to buy a single-core system today (ESPECIALLY given how long he's kept his current system - a P4 1.6???) is just foolishness, pure and simple.
 
dderidex said:
Keep in mind that many big games coming up next year are heavily multi-threaded...Unreal Tournament 2007, TES IV: Oblivion, etc. They will run noticeably faster on a dual-core system vs a single-core.

And remember that, having 3 cores, you can rest assured that all XBox360->PC ports in the coming years will run MUCH better on multi-core systems.

Advising someone to buy a single-core system today (ESPECIALLY given how long he's kept his current system - a P4 1.6???) is just foolishness, pure and simple.

I absolutely disagree. #1 factor in gaming peformance is the video card. Then comes CPU, and then comes RAM. I'm willing to bet a 7800GT on a single-core CPU will outperform a 6800GS with a dual-core CPU EVEN when the new games come out that can take advantage of dual-core CPU's.

I think it's unwise to build a PRIMARY-PURPOSE GAMING RIG with a CPU that costs more than your GPU.
 
Back
Top