Qnap setup

antok86

[H]F Junkie
i currently have a 2 bay drive qnap in raid 1. I am now getting a qnap with 4 drives that i plan to run raid 10. Will this give me 2 drive backup for the 4 drives?

With your existing QNAP, you have 2 drives mirrored against each other. RAID 10 will add a second set of Mirrored drives and then stripe the data between the mirrored sets. I assume it's just the wrong word used, but please keep in mind that RAID is NOT a backup. its redundancy against the failure of a hard drive. RAID does not protect against data corruption, loss or things like fire.

Yes sorry i didnt mean back up i basically want the function of raid 1 with two drives but with 4 drives- is that raid 10?

No, that's Raid 1, just run over 4 drives. That's not a common arrangement of RAID 1, so I'm not sure if your QNAP will allow that. It might be easiest to just create a second RAID 1 array. So you'll have to independent RAID sets.

Isn't the qnap nas just an arm based linux box running linux software raid? I know that mdadm supports that. At work my /boot on some servers is a 10 or more drive raid1 (meaning 10 copies of the same data).

Yes sorry i didnt mean back up i basically want the function of raid 1 with two drives but with 4 drives- is that raid 10?

Do you really want 4 copies of the same data and only 1 drive worth of space?

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID to understand the differences.

Going to raid 0 roughly doubles your chances of failure.

I would go RAID 6 if it's available on your system. That allows for two drive failures, and still being able to rebuild your system. It has the benefits of stripping two drives, with less risk of a RAID 10 arrangement.

Isn't the qnap nas just an arm based linux box running linux software raid? I know that mdadm supports that. At work my /boot on some servers is a 10 or more drive raid1 (meaning 10 copies of the same data).

Yup, the problem is the how they program the GUI. I don't have one handy to verify and a quick Google makes me think that RAID1 arrays are limited to 2 drives.

after looking through i think i will run it as a raid 6. so the mean time i have to transfer and make room so i have 4 hdd ready

so i ended up formatting the qnap in raid 6. looks like it will have slower write speeds but will have redunduncy for 2 drive failures

I ultimately went RAID 6 on my QNAP, after having 2 drives fail within a month of each other I didn't want to deal with the possibility of losing the entire array. So long as you aren't using the NAS for high I/O operations you shouldn't notice a huge problem with it. I had thought about the RAID 10 option for the extra performance (over RAID 6) but it still has the risk if the wrong 2 drives fail you lose the array, with RAID 6 any 2 drives can fail without losing the array.

go with raid 5.

been doing raid 5 for 6 years on my qnap and never had a hard drive failure and performance is good.

i have 1 drive spare sitting incase.

no point in going raid 10

why do you need the extra small boost in performance? is it greater then storage space? you basically lose half of your hard drive space vs 1/4

Back