• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q9550 vs. X3220

Greg85

n00b
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
43
I'm just curious how much of a performance increase would i attain, from upgrading my Xeon X3220 to a Q9550?
 
Did you come across that chip for cheap or are you buying it new?

The upgrade from X3220 (kentsfleid) to a Q9550 (Yorkfield) isn't night and day. You're looking at 15% or so on benchies. In pro-apps where the L2 becomes more important, the Q9550 will be better especially with a little OC'ing.

If you're buying it new, then you may want to get an LGA1156 or LGA1366 chip, even the "lower end" xeons in that lineup perform quite well compared to anything on the LGA775 socket.
 
I think i'm just going to stick with what i have. and wait till tax time to upgrade to an i7 setup.
 
I think i'm just going to stick with what i have. and wait till tax time to upgrade to an i7 setup.
Good plan. Unless you have an upgrade bug. :) I upgraded my Q6700 to a Q9550, and I'm quite happy. :D
 
Back
Top