• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q9550 Temp Question

Joined
Nov 3, 2008
Messages
18
I have a Q9550 C1 stepping at stock clock idling at 44C and hitting maxing out at 63C with the intel burn test and 62C with prime95 small FFTs. I'm using a zerotherm nirvana (nv120) and I reseated the heat sink twice just to make sure it was mounted properly. I don't believe I used too much arctic silver, I followed the instructions on their website. (thin line of paste in the center of the cpu. My case is an antec sonata iii 500, with one 120mm fan. Ambient room temps are about 21C.

Are these temps too high? What would normal q9550 temps be?

*temps are from CoreTemp and HWmonitor64
 
Your temps are fine. TjMax should be 100C. You can start to worry once you approach that value by 15-20C.
 
Temps look fine to me. My Q9550 E0 stepping OC'd to 3.65Ghz with a Thermalright SI-128 SE (speeds step enabled so it idles at about 2.5Gzh) idles at about 35c and hits about 56c under full load doing Prime95 overnight. ;)
 
On the stock fan my C1 (1.15V core. 1.05 min) idled at 55C and hit 75C under full load of all 4 cores. I replaced the stock with an AC Freezer Pro7 (I was not going to remove the motherboard to install a new heatsink) and the temps both dropped by around 20C. In both cases I was using the automatic fan speed adjustment. A year later the temps are about the same for the AC7 but I run the chip with a small overclock around 3.1GHz instead of the default 2.83GHz.
 
If it wasn't clear, they are fine. :D

I have a C1 9550 to and my temps were similar after 2 re-seatings. (Were my e6850 idles at 25C.) With better cooling, I'm now OCing it to 3.6 with the same basic temps. No issues. :)
 
So many of these sensors get stuck at idle that you shouldn't worry too much about idle temperatures. They are often times meaningless. As long as your computer is stable and it's not thermal throttling, there's no need to think twice about your core temperature. These things do a great job of looking after themselves.
 
Back
Top