Q9550 overheating? or bad temp sensor

rhouck

2[H]4U
Not sure which subforum this best belongs in, so, mods, feel free to move as needed...

My file server has a Q9550 with stock hsf. It's been running 24/7 since I built it back in 2009 and runs great.

However, recently it sets off the cpu alarm whenever processing duty ramps up. I checked the temps and the CPU temp really varies a lot... idling seems to be mid 40s (42-47 C), but then jumps up to 80ish and the alarm goes off when cpu usage is 90+%.

The weird part is the temps climb REALLY fast (and similarly drop really fast)... but I can sit there and touch the heatsink and it barely gets warm. :confused:

Does this sound like a faulty temp reading (in which case I can disable the alarm in the bios and ignore it)? Or a sign that the CPU is on its way out and I need to start shopping for a replacement?

I cleaned out the entire case with dust blower so its nothing like that -- and airflow over it is adequate and cool.

Thanks for any feedback.

Maybe it's time to clean off that CPU and put on some fresh Thermal paste after 5 years of 24/7 operation. That would be my next step if I were in your shoes.

jime

It sounds like either the paste has gone completely, or one of the push pins on the stock cooler has gone. If the pins fail, it wont hold the cooler tight to the heat spreader, and thus your rampant temps.

Thanks, all. The cooler seemed pretty solid, but I will pull it and check. I never really thought about thermal paste going bad (probably because I've never run a computer this long without upgrading :p ), so I'll remove, clean and reapply.

Might try to get an aftermarket hsf as well... time to scour the FS/FT section for someone selling a used one :)

Back