• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q9550 OC Help

Joined
Oct 17, 2008
Messages
3
I have a Q9550 E0 in an Asus Rampage Formula and Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (4x2GB) and a Sunbeam CR-CCTF in an Antec 900 case.

I currently have it stable at:
FSB Freq = 425 *8.5 = 3612.5mhz
PCIE Freq = 101
DRAM Freq = 1:1 (850)
CPU Volt = 1.325
NB Volt = 1.35
DRAM Volt = 2.10

I have gotten this far from reading other posts but really am at a loss. I have read the OC guides and still am not comfortable on my own. What do you recommend next? Any thoughts on why my 4th core is staying so much cooler than the others? At idle the 4th is 5c higher than the others. I want to take this OC as high as possible but am not sure what is 'safe'.

oc1.jpg
 
I think your going to need to reseat your heatsink, it doesn't look even judging by those temps. My C1 at 1.25v will hit 470x8.5 and load at about 55-65ºC depending on the room temp.
 
I wouldn't expect perfectly even temps.


Just do an average of them all and keep safe from your maximum allowed heat.
 
I reseated my heat sink, using a proper amount of thermal grease (I used too much before) and they have evened out a little. The 4th core still stays about 8c warmer than the others at idle but also stays 8c cooler at max so I'm not worried about it.

What suggestions do you have for pushing this higher? I bumped my FSB Freq up to 430 now and am stressing it with no issues.

Am I best keeping my ram at 1:1 or should I set it to a different setting? How high can I safely go with my CPU Volt to keep the overclocks stable? If I go with a higher FSB Freq do I need to increase my NB Volt?
 
I wouldnt expect temps to get much better than that. You could drop it another couple degrees under load by swapping the fan for a Scythe Slipstream 110CFM fan. I get about the same temps for mine at 3.8 (60-62 in OCCT). The 45nm chips just seem to run unusually hot and require more voltage than I would have expected.
 
Also for your ram you may want to try strapping it at a different ratio. My best results at 450mhz FSB was to run the RAM at 333mhz with a 12:10 ratio (1081 effective).
 
The temperature variations are perfectly normal. I have a constant 8-10C variation between the hottest and coolest cores of my Q9550 with a properly mounted heatsink. All of your temps are well within the safe range, so don't worry about a thing.
 
What voltage settings are you using to hit 3.8? is this on a q9550? I am interested in pushing my processor higher (even though I don't really need to) I just haven't bothered messing with the settings further.

I wouldnt expect temps to get much better than that. You could drop it another couple degrees under load by swapping the fan for a Scythe Slipstream 110CFM fan. I get about the same temps for mine at 3.8 (60-62 in OCCT). The 45nm chips just seem to run unusually hot and require more voltage than I would have expected.
 
Back
Top