q9550 load temps

tscompusa

Weaksauce
I recently installed a q9550 with a thermalright ultra 120 extreme with 2 fans on each side with push pull method on my p182 case. Im curious as to why coretemp and realtemp readings are so different underload and idle? I know idle is pointless.. but load they remain to be the same offset. Also I currently have it 1:1 configuration with 400x8.5 giving me 3.40ghz

load temps with prime95 (running for 5minutes) using Small FFTs are:

Core temp: 60C 58C 61C 58C
Real temp: 54C 53C 53C 56C

load temps with IntelBurnTest (running for 5minutes / 15 tests on half stress)

Core temp: 64C 60C 61C 62C
Real temp: 59C 59C 54C 58C

Which one is accurate? It would make me feel better
knowing im not passing into the 60's range under load.

Go into the Real Temp settings and set Tjmax to 100C for all four cores. That will cause both programs to report identical temperatures. If you take a closer look at the values you were getting, there's a difference of 5C between the two programs, with a slight discrepancy because they read the temperatures at slightly different time intervals.

By the way, out of those numbers, Core Temp is actually reporting the correct values. However, running over 60C is not detrimental to your CPU. It can withstand temperatures of over 100C without actually damaging itself. The general rule of thumb is to try and keep it under 70C loaded, although it doesn't even matter too much if you do exceed that number.

ok thanks for answering me. what voltage did you have to use to oc your q9550 to 3.8?

ok I have the C1 revision of this cpu is yours the E0 or same as mine?
I will try to raise the voltage and see if I can get mine to a stable 3.8.
I had it 3.8 prior, but ran intelburntest and the computer just rebooted
itself.. so I guess it needs more voltage. I was running about 1.2150
or something I cant remember now. Im at 1.2250 now at 3.4ghz with a
1:1 config. Im gonna try and see if I can get it stable around 3.8

Ok im gonna try in about 3 hrs here. I'll keep raising the voltage slowly until it runs intelburntest stable. I will report back my findings.

Back