Q9450 vs E8400 power usage?

Valnar

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 3, 2001
Messages
4,562
I realize the chance that somebody has both of these CPU's is slim, but does anyone know first hand what the idle power difference is between these these two CPU's? I'm okay with total system power usage - just so I get a delta. Stock speed preferred.

I want to get a quad, but really most of the time the PC will sit idle, so I wonder how much more power four idle CPU's take over two.

Robert
 
I'm curious also, I'm a gamer and looking @ the E8400 since the Q6600 is a quad so higher wattage and I neither need nor want that, plus I doubt I could max out a quad.
 
dont recall the article, but could've sworn i saw the q9450 idling only about 2W higher than the e8400 on the same hardware. i remember it cuz it almost swayed me toward buying a q9450 instead...but this was a while back and i cant say for sure whether this is actually the case.

also dont know if speedstep was being used or not
 
Back
Top