Q9450 overclocking questions

Kahnvex

2[H]4U
Hey all,

I've got a shuttle SX38P2 with a Q9450 in it. DDR2-6400 OCZ Platinum Ram

I decided to fiddle with it this evening, got the bug, or whatever, and ran into a wall that has me perplexed.

PC has run at 3.0ghz since I built it.
multiplier: AUTO
ratio at 5:6 from AUTO setting.
Stock volts, normal temps etc.

If I change the multiplier in any way, besides leaving it at AUTO, I get no boot. Even keeping it at the same OC that it's always been at, if I set the ram and the FSB to what they should be (2:1 = 800mhz) it just black screens. Even if I underclock, - black screen. Technically I should be able to do 3.2ghz with 800mz ram and a modified divider, but it won't do that.

The best I can get, if I set the multiplier at Auto, and tweak the FSB, is 3.1ghz~ at stock volts. Raising the vCore had no effect, and at this speed, isn't even necessary.

I thought it was the ram at first, but when I bumped the OC up another 100mhz, the ram went right along, no problems. It's currently rated at 466mhz, where it was at 450.5mhz. So technically, it was overspecced before, and now it's even farther, which made it more confusing.

I'm just sort of stymied, and I was curious if anybody else had run across motherboards that just simply won't play nice with different multipliers?

I guess I could just buy some used 1066 ram and let the FSB do what it will at the auto setting, but not being able to configure it correctly bugs me. And it especially bugs me if I can't run it up to 3.2 or 3.6 like a ton of other people with this model Shuttle have reported all over the place. Maybe my processor just won't do any higher?

No big deal really, but any thoughts?

Back