• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q9450 on 650i

marshac

American Hero
Joined
Mar 25, 2003
Messages
2,551
I know it's not officially supported, but I have read numerous posts with people claiming to run a Q9450 on a 650i board. Is anyone here running such a setup, and have you experienced any problems with it? I have a P5NE-SLI and don't want to sink any money into a new motherboard until nehalem comes out, but I wouldn't mind picking up a Q9450 to tide me over until next year.

Incidentally, I just drove through Nehalem OR the other day... I'll have to revisit them in a few months and throw an "Intel Inside" sticker on their "Welcome to Nehalem" sign.
 
i believe if you search on anandtech, they had an article on the 650/680 boards and which ones would support the 45nm cpus.

honestly though, if you are looking to not sink money into a new mobo before nehalem, why wouldn't you just grab a q6600 to last you the next year?
 
honestly though, if you are looking to not sink money into a new mobo before nehalem, why wouldn't you just grab a q6600 to last you the next year?

The Q6600 is what I would get if the Q9450 doesn't pan out. Some of the apps I use would benefit from SSE4, so as long as i'm picking up a new CPU, I might as well get one I know would benefit those apps directly.

Thanks for the link. I know my motherboard will support the 45nm chips, but ASUS only claims support for the dual core CPUs, not the quad core versions.
 
I am surprised it does work, though to be honest you might just be better off with the Q6600.
 
Here's a thread on OC'ing the QX9450 on that board. (You've probably come across this thread before :))

Your kidding me? I though because of the power design of these boards, they could not work Yorkfield? The official CPU list does not list the cpu. Does this mean that other boards (maybe the P5N32E-SLI plus perhaps?) can unofficially work with these?

Edit: Apparently 650i SLI supports Yorkfield:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3138

Yet another edit: Asus press release says differently:
http://event.asus.com/mb/45nm/
 
Back
Top