Q9450 OC'ing questions!

Calis

Limp Gawd
Hey,

few questions.

Got myself a Q9450 a while ago + TRUE120 +AS5, maxing it out with Prime95, realtemp (the program I've been told to use by people on hardforum :D) is reporting temps of 38-41 degrees across the cores.

Just wondering:

a) are these temps ok?

b) is realtemp the right program to use to measure temps as I'm overclocking? (because different programs I've tried.. everest etc, few others, report different readings to realtemp

c) should i lap and reseat the heatsink (if the temps aren't ok)

d) anything else you can think of based on your C2Q or Q9450 OCing experience!

- see screenshot

screenieforocce3.jpg

a) Temps are fine.
b) Read the doc for realtemp. The temps reported by the different apps are due to the different Tjmax values used. If you don't know what that refers to, again it's in the doc.

Running very stable at 3.2ghz under full load, it renders so incredibly fast now!!

hottest core is just touching 45 degrees every now and again, rest are around 43-44

time to go higher!

Well, I just installed a Q9450 in an Asus Striker II Extreme. I can't make heads or tails of my temperature readings according to RealTemp 2.60.

Q9450 @ stock speed
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
Asus Striker II Extreme
Antec Twelve Hundred Case (good airflow)

Real Temp 2.60 is reporting my cores at 46, 44, 42, 42 at idle. Load temps get as high as 57-60. Room temperature is about 82f / 27.5c

I've remounted my Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme three times now. Last time, I used the bare minimum of AS5. No change.

I undervolted the CPU and underclocked it drastically (something like 1.6GHz). No change.

To rule out case airflow, I blew a high-speed house fan directly onto the heatsink and motherboard. Only lowered temps by a degree or two.

Is there a known issue with cpu temp reporting on this board? The Bios is reporting the CPU at 28-29c!

Hurin, the room temp in my room is 80~83 F as well and Real Temp 2.61 registers my idle temps at 47,47,46,46 with a tuniq 120....so our temps are very similar.

I just updated the BIOS on my motherboard because it was reading CPU temps of 20C, which is less than ambient temp, and after the update I am idling around 38 (according to the mobo utility software that came with my abit ip35pro)

Also, is it strange that temps jump +/- 5C instantly when running prime 95 on stock speeds?
According to realtemp 2.61, my temps are ~47 one second and jump erratically to 53-54 the next second.

I just tried to calibrate RealTemp per its instructions. But can't really do it. I set my vcore to 1.1v (minimum) and my CPU to 1200 MHz (multi of 6 with FSB of 200/800).

According to the calibration document, my cpu should idle at these settings at +6-7 above room temp (room temp is 21.9c this morning) or even less since this is a 45nm cpu. Yet I'm still idling at 42c (the same as at full speed and voltage). Since the calibration only allows a max value of +/-3, calibration isn't an option for me as I can't get anywhere near the target of 29c idle temp (21.9+7).

So, I think I'm about ready to just chalk this up to faulty sensors and/or other odness. There's someone over on [H] that is getting nearly identical readings as me with a Tuniq Tower.

The fact that the CPU returns to idle temp quickly from load temp and that the load temp is only +10-12c different from idle persuades me a bit that the cooler and as5 are applied correctly. So would you all agree that it's just time to stop worrying and ignore these temp readings?

Edit: Oh, and I also just OCed to 3.5GHz w/ 1.325 vcore. Also no change in temps. So I'm thinking it's just gotta be a reporting/sensor issue. Screw it. I'm OCing!

Edit: Oh, and I also just OCed to 3.5GHz w/ 1.325 vcore. Also no change in temps. So I'm thinking it's just gotta be a reporting/sensor issue. Screw it. I'm OCing!
Correction. I must have been on crack last night. The temps do go up when I overclock. Maxing at:

Max 66/61/63/64 @ 3.2Ghz 1.325v with room temp of 26.9c/80.4f

Also, is it strange that temps jump +/- 5C instantly when running prime 95 on stock speeds?
According to realtemp 2.61, my temps are ~47 one second and jump erratically to 53-54 the next second.
The temp increase should be pretty much instant actually. So that's not too strange.

Back