• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q9450 bleeding voltage?

U-238

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
255
I'm working on overclocking my Q9450. I'm hoping to get it around 3.6ghz stable. So far I've gotten to 3.4ghz and that's it. Here's the issue that's making me wonder though. From stock-3.1ghz I didn't have to touch any voltages. (I had to bump the vcore a notch for 3.2ghz) However, from 3.1 to 3.4 I've had to raise the vcore a massive amount from 1.25v to nearly 1.375v. Looking around both here and the interwebs I've seen a lot of people have gotten to 3.2ghz and have even managed to lower their voltage some. Is it odd that my proc seems to almost be leaking voltage?

System specs:
Mobo: Evga 750i FTW
CPU: Intel Q9450 @ 3.4ghz
Memory: 2gb OCZ Reaper 1066 (normally 4gb however I'm down to 2 due to a bad stick)
GPU: 2x Evga 9800gtx+ sli
PSU: Corsair TX750w
HDD: 2x WD 500gb and 1x WD 160gb

Current Voltages:
VCore: 1.368
FSB: 1.10
Memory: 2.2v (stock)
Northbridge: 1.30v (stock, though I have had it up to 1.4v)
Sli Chip: 1.2v (stock)

FSB/Memory is set to Link 'n Sync.
 
What cooler are you running? As any cpu approaches its OC maxim is going to have an exponential voltage increase need. Take my E7200. I can go from stock 2.5 to 3.1 without any more voltage. 3.1 to 3.5 with another tenth but 3.5 to 3.9 is two tenths more
 
I'm having similar experiences with my Q9550 E0; I can hit 3.8GHz at 1.328v, but to go 200MHz more for 4.0 I have to bump the voltage to 1.38v just to get into Windows, nevermind starting Prime95 or IBT. I was going to try to hit 500MHz FSB, but I think I'll just stick with the 450; the increase in temps and possible decrease in life expectancy is not worth it for a few hundred MHz increases.
 
GonzoP said:
What cooler are you running? As any cpu approaches its OC maxim is going to have an exponential voltage increase need. Take my E7200. I can go from stock 2.5 to 3.1 without any more voltage. 3.1 to 3.5 with another tenth but 3.5 to 3.9 is two tenths more

I'm running a Zalman 9700. My temps aren't too bad. 56c on the highest sensor (which I'm sure is reading too high right now) I'm guessing around 45c under load at most.

heatsinker said:
I'm having similar experiences with my Q9550 E0; I can hit 3.8GHz at 1.328v, but to go 200MHz more for 4.0 I have to bump the voltage to 1.38v just to get into Windows, nevermind starting Prime95 or IBT. I was going to try to hit 500MHz FSB, but I think I'll just stick with the 450; the increase in temps and possible decrease in life expectancy is not worth it for a few hundred MHz increases.

Interesting. I'd be severely disappointed if I can't get this chip any higher. The main reason I bought a 9450 was because of the good overclocking results other people have had.
 
You would probably get much better results from a P-35...or better yet, a P-45 board ..
that's my experience anyway
 
If it wasn't for the fact I'm using sli I'd definitely give intel's boards another look. But alas, anything short of a nehalem board won't support it.
 
I'm running a Zalman 9700. My temps aren't too bad. 56c on the highest sensor (which I'm sure is reading too high right now) I'm guessing around 45c under load at most.



Interesting. I'd be severely disappointed if I can't get this chip any higher. The main reason I bought a 9450 was because of the good overclocking results other people have had.

Temps look fine for that cooler with that voltage. When I kept my 7200 @ 3.6 with 1.325v I almost never saw 50ºC, but since its winter I'm leaving her cranked to 3.9 with over 1.4v admittedly, now I can and do see temps which can cross over 60ºC but its still all good
 
increase fsb voltage to 1.2 or even 1.3. beyond 1.45 you may cause damage (same as vcore for 45nm). if that doesn't work get a p45 board! :p
 
Back
Top