Q9450 @ 3.2GHz with 1.275V too high voltage?

KeymaN

Gawd
well first time OC-ing... having quite a trouble to start with... so i end up setting everyone to auto execpt multiplier, FSB and Vcore...
so my question is... is it possible to set something not to auto so that i can use lower Vcore ( and to have less heat ), because i tried to set some of the setting manual like the NB, SB and other stuff... and with those setting... i cant even pass 1hr mark with prime95... usually the 4th core receive an error around 15-17min or 35-40 min...
also while stress testing the computer got around high 50C but have not reached 60C at all ( hope that is a good thing ) and if there is any OC pros out there would like to teach me a thing or two on how to lower my voltage to achieve 3.2Ghz on my Q9450... because i have been reading different OC guides and other ppl OC set up... there are many people able to get 3.2GHz with stock voltage... which is really amazing i found... so i m hoping i can get somewhere closer to that...
for the spec of my rig... it is in my sig - The Big Guy
Thanks

KeymaN

its hard to say man. my Q9450 clocked to 3.2ghz easy, all i changed was the fsb speed and used a divider :D. best of luck to you

yep thats it ;). ran the fsb at 400mhz and the ram at 333 divider, to get the ram to run at 800mhz 1:1 :)

well i did set the FSB to 400MHz but i dont think i have set the ram at 333 divider, but i did get 1:1 FSB:DRAM still cuz the ram is running at DDR2-800
but dunno y i have to set it at 1.28125V to get it stable now..
and one funny thing... i had prime95 running for 10 hrs something... then the program itself crashed or something... because windows asked me to close the program... but i guess it should be stable now right? hope i will figure how to lower the Vcore eventually... really dislike the 58C when stress lol

try intel burn test i think 10 runs is equal to several days of prime 95 and takes 12 min :)

hahah is there another way? in Prime95 i already reach like 55 and there is a min or 2 in every 30 min(?) where it reaches 58-60C... with this... i m afraid i will hit 70C... lol
damn if the prime95 didnt crash on me today lol... after 10 hrs of waiting...

i hit 69c with my setup but it was only for 12 min :). i have the same cooler as u i think u would be fine :)

someone correct me but isnt the thermal limit of these chips estimated at 95c? even at 69c my xig was barely warm :)

hahah is there another way? in Prime95 i already reach like 55 and there is a min or 2 in every 30 min(?) where it reaches 58-60C... with this... i m afraid i will hit 70C... lol
damn if the prime95 didnt crash on me today lol... after 10 hrs of waiting...
70C is fine. Not even close to the temperature it would take to damage your CPU. IBT is a great program for quickly testing the reliability of an overclock.
someone correct me but isnt the thermal limit of these chips estimated at 95c? even at 69c my xig was barely warm :)

Tjmax is 100C for these chips. That's just the temp before they start throttling down though, so they can actually withstand even more heat. The CPU won't shut down until it's hit ~10C above Tjmax IIRC.

1.275V is still fairly low for the Vcore, although it should be running stable at 3.2 by then. I paired up a Q9450 with a TRUE and low speed fan for silence, and it's overclocked to 3.4 @ 1.245. I should be able to get it running stable at 3.5, but I haven't had time to start tweaking it. There's nothing wrong with reaching 58-60C on load, and as Zeri82z mentioned, these CPUs can withstand fairly high temps. Also, remember CoreTemp/RealCore report different temps by default (4-5C lower on RealCore since the Tjmax is set to 95 unless you modify the settings).

i think it does not need that much voltage at 3.2 GHz. I have mine undervolted to 1.18 V and overclocked to 3.2Ghz at 1:1 divider ratio

thatz what i thought too... heard lots of ppl clock to 3.2 without increasing voltage... or even if they do increase the voltage... it not that much too... would anyone share their BIOS for me as a reference to see how this actually works? one of the major problem i know i m having is that beside the multi, FSB,and Vore... the rest are set to auto... i really hope that i do not have a bad chip that that does not allow me to overclock with low voltage... i mean the stuff i use aint that bad right? it is meant for silence and also keeping it cool too :rolleyes:

oh also i would like to add one more thing... i dunno how to use the intel test for max stress... apparently it does not allow me to do the test because i m using more than 2GB of RAM... @_@

My Q9400 will do 3.6Ghz on that voltage, so it may not be the cpu voltage holding you from stability but possibly the GTL, NB, or RAM settings. There's a lot to play with ;)

yeah! that is something i m talking about... setting 95% stuff to auto doesnt give me a good OC hahah...
would u mind showing me ur BIOS set up? ( would be very glad if others can show me theirs too ) i just wanna see how it works and how to config those setting... if i see a few of them as reference... i can at least understand it more beside blindingly reading all those guild which doesnt tell me much... i m pretty a visual/hands-on person =/

yeah! that is something i m talking about... setting 95% stuff to auto doesnt give me a good OC hahah...
would u mind showing me ur BIOS set up? ( would be very glad if others can show me theirs too ) i just wanna see how it works and how to config those setting... if i see a few of them as reference... i can at least understand it more beside blindingly reading all those guild which doesnt tell me much... i m pretty a visual/hands-on person =/
Im sort of the same way about visuals. Try googling the mobo bios you have as it may show you a review for that board which includes the bios setup. I did this for the P5Q pro so I can research and get ahead of the curve before I bought it.

I lowered my Vcore to 1.18, upped the MCH and FSB voltages by 0.1 V . RAM is running at 5-5-5-15 at 2.0V . thats it . everything else is normal, stable at 3.2 Ghz

I can go as low as 1.16 on Vcore , but it is not prime stable, but vista workis fine on that .
If i set the Vcore on auto plus that eist and c1e stuff, Vcore is 1.08 while browsing and stuff .

Can you get it any higher than 3.2 on that voltage? I know mine won't run at 3.2 on stock/lower voltage. However I also can't get over 3.2 on anything I've tried yet. (I run my memory on link n' sync.) I'd be interested to see if you can get yours stable at over 3.2.

well i could give it a shot... but doubt i cant go much higher since i need 1.28125V to keep 3.2 stable... hahah especially when i set 95% of other stuff to auto... lol

Back