Q9300 Temps.

jridge2778

n00b
Joined
Mar 26, 2008
Messages
9
Are these normal temps for the Q9300? I'm using EVGA 780i and vista x64 with a arctic cooling pro 7

Speed Fan reports the following

CPU: 35c
Core1: 48c
Core2: 48c
Core3: 45c
Core4: 45c

Nivida's system monitor reports core temps of 5-7 degress higher on average then Speed fan.
 
Try using realtemp. Everybody seems to agree it's more accurate with the 45nm chips. And are those idle or loaded temps?
 
opps those are idle temps sorry


Realtemp is reporting temps like 5 degrees lower than speed fan
 
Try using realtemp. Everybody seems to agree it's more accurate with the 45nm chips. And are those idle or loaded temps?

Is there anything that those of us with x64 can do to make speedfan better? Right now speedfan is the only program I've found that works on x64.
 
Real temp and core temp both work with vista 64 for me. I would say speedfan may be wrong, but what does the BIOS monitoring tool read?
 
Please don't any of the "computer gurus" get their "shorts in a twist" :rolleyes:. If I'm wrong, please just post a correction. ;)

As far as I know the TjMAX in Core Temp is 100c and the TjMAX in Real Temp is 95c which explains the 5c difference for an uncalibrated Real Temp vs Core Temp. ("outa' the box", no tweaks) :)

To get Core Temp to read the Real Temp readings go to the Core Temp initiation file (I think it's named "settings" in the same folder as the executable file for Core Temp and adjust it in single digits (-5 = 95c, 0 = 100c, 5 = 105c, etc).:D

I use the Real Temp program in WinXP because of the simple calibration method explained by uncleWebb, plus it has many "easy breezy" tweaks in the GUI and now you can put the temps of all four cores (for a quad) in the taskbar. (v2.60, to get in touch with him go over to xtremesystems.org) I don't know how accurate it would be to use the same method of calibration on Core Temp, it just might help. :confused:

Edit: D'oh, I just re read the post, I'm sorry OP you were asking about SpeedFan. As far as I can tell SpeedFan senses your chip to either be TjMAX 85c or TjMAX 100c no TjMAX 95c (I thought the new 45nm chips were all 95c). I think I read about a beta program that might or might not use the 95c TjMAX :confused: Anyhoo, just try the calibration thing by uncleWebb and see how far off the idle and ambient temp is, I thought with air it was like 3c to 5c. After you find out which way to adjust (probably negative) go to the pull down menu in the GUI and press "configure, then Advanced, pull down the INTEL CORE sensor", don't forget the "remember it" check mark and scroll to the offset number you want.

I hope this helps a little bit :)

OBTW, other than a hardware sensor built into the hottest part of the chip, read with no software, the only way to get closer to accuracy is calibrating like uncleWebb explained (I just use any software interpreted temp reading as a reference). As far as I know the "in chip sensors" are not "linear" in their readings. The warmer a chip gets the more accurate the reading is? :confused:

 
I have the same problem with my Q9300. I'm inclined to believe the TJMax is only 85 since my heatsink feels cool to the touch. I have the same 15 degree spread in Speedfan compared to my motherboard CPU sensor. It's probably in reality 10 less than that (90 TJMax maybe??)

In any case, you can make Speedfan, Coretemp and Realtemp read the same thing by adjusting the parameters or editing their respective .ini files.

What matters is the distance to TJMax. In Realtemp, what do you show there for your Q9300 idle/load??
 
My idle temp for my 9300 under Real Temp read as follows: 42c, 41c, 49c, and 49c. TJ Max is set to 95.

I can touch the heatsink and it's cool enough. I have a 120mm Fan pushing air thru it and another 120mm fan pushing air out of the case behind it. On top of the 9300 is the TR Ultra-120 eXtreme.

When i go into the BIOS, after an hour or two of running the system, I would go into the BIOS to check the CPU temperature and it's always below 35c.
 
Hey my man BugginOuT (good handle): as far as I understand it you want the bottom of the HSF warm (or even hot?) to the touch because then you know it's transfering cpu heat to the heat pipes (if your HSF has them) :D

What is your clock? What is your ambient temperature? IMO 42c, 41c, 49c, and 49c is a little on the warm side if it's idle, but still a pretty big spread if it's load. Not so much the 41c or 42c readings, but the 49c readings if it's idle temps (but then again I'm "temp anal"). Do the 9xxx chips have an in chip temp sensor sticking problem like I've read the 8xxx dual cores do? (ATM I don't have a 8xxxx chip or a 9xxx chip) :confused:

Just out of curiosity, if the above are idle temps, reseat your HSF (if at all possible and reapply just the right amount of new TIM) and see if it lowers your temps. Oh and BTW I think the chip sensors are much more accurate the hotter the chip gets. (like more accurate at load) I've also read "what really matters is the distance to TJMax", but I don't understand all I know about it. ;)

Try leaving a side panel off and placing a 110v table top fan pointed torward the open case, if that lowers temps you might have a case airflow problem. :rolleyes:

These are just my humble observations and opinions :p

 
I can put my fingers between the plate and the fins, barely feeling any heat coming from the CPU. If you see how a TR 120-Ultra eXtreme looks like, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I took out the mobo out of the case, clean out the AS5 that I've applied previously and redid the whole job over again. (I am not going thru that again!) I've tighten the screws on the heatsink, any tighter, I might just crack the board. I am still seeing a temperature difference between Core 0 + 1 vs Core 2 + 3 by 6 to 8 degrees.

I did a tiny overclock from 2.5Ghz to 2.65Ghz.
 
since u are using Arctic silver 5...u need to let the burn it...200 hours from what i have read in order for the arctic silver to be effective....prolly the temp will come down 1-5.
 
I can put my fingers between the plate and the fins, barely feeling any heat coming from the CPU. If you see how a TR 120-Ultra eXtreme looks like, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I took out the mobo out of the case, clean out the AS5 that I've applied previously and redid the whole job over again. (I am not going thru that again!) I've tighten the screws on the heatsink, any tighter, I might just crack the board. I am still seeing a temperature difference between Core 0 + 1 vs Core 2 + 3 by 6 to 8 degrees.

I did a tiny overclock from 2.5Ghz to 2.65Ghz.

Yeah, I know it's nothin' but a hassle to take the mobo and stuff outa' the case and redo the HSF seating, but it's much better having a "through the board" mount then one of those IMO crappy push/pins mounts (I hate them) :mad:

Nice heat HSF you got there (TR 120-Ultra eXtreme), from what I understand, for any extreme overclocking, it has no rivals and can accommodate a number of good fans, which fan do you use? (pretty pricey though and I've read where it needs to be "lapped" pretty much outa' the box :confused:). I would think with a HSF of that caliber your idle and load temps would be cooler, of course I don't have a TRUE on either one of my quads (old hat, 65nm Q6600's) I have an outdated Zalman 9700 on one and, my favorite, a custom water cooling loop on the other. (my main box) ;)

Raiden911 is probably correct when he/she says your temps will probably drop when your AS5 cures (I don't know about 5c though, seems kinda' wishful thinking). :D

As far as the delta between cores, at least on a Q6600 and probably pretty much all multi core chips, In my humble opinion I wouldn't worry too much until your AS5 sets, but a delta of 6c to 8c seems to me to be begging for a HSF reseat or a "lapping" job. (my delta is usually is 0c to 2c degrees, I have seen it as high as 6c on rare occasions) :(

Check the HSF base and HS on the cpu to see if they're flat with a "straight edge" of some king or do the "ketchup trick" (my favorite) to see if either are concave or convex. From what I've read the TRUE might need a "lap job" right outa' the box, but the cpu might not (I've read where the Intel 9xxx chips have good flat heat spreaders), don't lap it unless you really have to because it voids the warrenty and might devalue it. (hell, the void warrenty ain't nothin', but it might be harder to sell in the long run)

Good luck and please keep us posted of any results you have and of course these are only my humble opinions and observations :p

Edit: I just read on xtremesystems.org where you could get a Q9300 up to 3.2 GHz and as far as 3.6 GHz (depending on the mobo, RAM, etc)

 
System spec as follows:

Intel Quad Core 9300
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
BFG 8800GTS
2x 1GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400
OCZ GameXtreme 1010w

By checking the logs on the Real Temp under full load, all 4 cores do not exceed 53c. I'm just going to let the AS5 sit in and see what happens.

The 120-Ultra sits on top of the CPU evenly, I have Scythe 120mm fan accomodating it.

Do you think it's the northbridge next to the CPU that's causing the temperature to rise unexpectly? The northhbridge heatsink is warm to touch and it's sitting right next to the CPU.
 
System spec as follows:

Intel Quad Core 9300
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
BFG 8800GTS
2x 1GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400
OCZ GameXtreme 1010w

By checking the logs on the Real Temp under full load, all 4 cores do not exceed 53c. I'm just going to let the AS5 sit in and see what happens.

The 120-Ultra sits on top of the CPU evenly, I have Scythe 120mm fan accomodating it.

Do you think it's the northbridge next to the CPU that's causing the temperature to rise unexpectly? The northhbridge heatsink is warm to touch and it's sitting right next to the CPU.

Brotherman, now you're gettin' pretty much out of any expertice I might have. I really can't answer your question about coolin' the NB. I think all the chips (regardless of where they're at) get warm to the touch, just not hot enough to burn your fingers. :confused:

TBH I have 120 mm side intake fans on all my boxen blowing on the NB, SB and RAM (the 120's have all been under volted). Whether I need them or not they make me feel better, especially on the Q6600 that I have WC'ed.

Please post an answer if you get one. I fold 24/7 and I'd like to know if my NB's need extra cooling. My NB and SB are all warm to the touch :confused:

 
Back
Top