• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6700 vs i7 920

demingo

Trump is My President!
Joined
Feb 22, 2003
Messages
2,702
So recently was given an i7 920 for free. However I am wondering if its worth upgrading my pc over my current setup.

I'm running a q6700 at 3.2ghz (8x400).

looking at the 920, unless I'm reading things wrong, there isnt that huge of a performance increase to justify the new motherboard/ram.

Anyone go from a similar overclock to a 920?
 
Your overclocked Q6700 *might* be equivalent to an i7 920 at stock speed. From most benchmarks I've seen a Core2 Quad will need a 600-800Mhz clockspeed advantage over an i7 to perform equally; probably more on the 800 side of things for your chip since it is a 65nm quad.

If I were you I'd sell the i7 920 and pick up a Q9550 or Q9650 for your current motherboard, you'd probably be able to hit 4Ghz easy and you would probably save a ton of money over building a new system around the i7, especially if you were to go for a good motherboard.
 
It really depends on what you do. For general usage and gaming, you won't see much if any difference. If you do a lot of heavy multitasking, run VMs, encode video, etc., there will be a pretty noticeable increase in performance from going to the i7.
 
It might be worth the upgrade if you do alot of media encoding. Otherwise I'd just sell the i7 and pocket the money for a future upgrade. Or get more RAM for your current system.
 
Back
Top