• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6700 Temps high @ Stock?

Giolon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
145
I've got a Q6700 w/ AS5 and a Freezer 7 Pro for cooling.

At idle I'm getting temps of 45, 45, 40, 40 in the four cores (based on CoreTemp, RealTemp show similar numbers, Speedfan shows 10C higher), and under full load I'm getting 66, 62, 59, 59. This is after a week of curing time for AS5 and operating in an 78F room (25C).

Are these temps normal or are they too high? What's the deal with 1 core being so much higher than the rest? Previously I had an E6600 and saw temps of 40/40 and 55/55 at idle and load.
 
That sounds about right for a 65nm Q6700 quad.

Using RealTemp, what does it say your "Distance to TJ Max" is idle and under load?
 
For stock settings, that seems a bit high to me. I have a similar setup (see sig) but I'm using MX-2 instead of AS5. Running Prime95 with small FFT's and an OC to 3.54 Ghz I have the following temps:

CoreTemp : hottest core is 67 C (TjMax is 100)
RealTemp : hottest core is 62 C (TjMax is 95)

My room temp is a bit cooler than yours (maybe 18 C). What is your fan speed set to in the bios?
 
Well today in a 22C (72F) room, I'm seeing idle temps of 43, 43, 38, 38 in RealTemp. Distance to TJMax is 53, 53, 58, 58 at idle. And I'm only seeing 61,58,56,55 for load temps (34,37,40,40 dist to TJMax).

Maybe it was just the hot weather or my AS5 is starting to cure better...

My fan speed had previously been set to auto for 40C. I bumped it up a notch today to 45C, and it's still cooler. The F7Pro is running about 1500RPM under load, and my two case fans just run at 1000-1100RPM (set to low).
 
Your temps and distance are better than mine. No worries.
 
W/ a Tuniq Tower, my Q6700 temps at stock were in the high 30s idle in a warm room (78F+) and under load more or less the same as your temps minus a couple of degrees. I think your Q6700 is fine. These suckers heat up quick under load.

Of course, in my case I wasn't satisfied, so yesterday/today I installed a Swiftech Apex GT water cooling kit. At stock in the same hot room idle temps of around 29C avg, and 40C load ..but the TX-2 needs to cure.

Right now, oc'd to 3.4 @ 1.48V and encoding a blu-ray rip to h.264...46C avg at ~65% cpu load. I'm quite happy w/ it - first time wc cooling. Anyway, off topic I know..but something to consider if you're adventurous :)
 
Back
Top