q6600

vict0r

[H]ard|Gawd
this might sound kind of noobish..

but oh well ... let's say , i walk in a pc store to get a q6600 , when I grab the box .. how do I know its a G0 and not a B3 ?

is it anywhere written on the box ?

Look at the label on the box. The last 5 letters of the product code should be SLACR. Those 5 letters are the G0 stepping. The B3 stepping will be SL9UM. I believe most remaining Q6600's are the G0 stepping. Good luck.

it'll sound a little more noobish but what is the difference ?
i have 6FB

it'll sound a little more noobish but what is the difference ?
i have 6FB

It's just the internals of the processor. Think of the G0 stepping as a "revised" version. It's not better than the B3 stepping enough to warrant marketing it as a new processor, but it's worth putting out into production. The G0 stepping can handle a bit more heat and runs a bit cooler, making it a better overclocker. If you're not overclocking, it shouldn't mean much to you at all -- your stock cooler should keep it stable at stock speeds.

It's just the internals of the processor. Think of the G0 stepping as a "revised" version. It's not better than the B3 stepping enough to warrant marketing it as a new processor, but it's worth putting out into production. The G0 stepping can handle a bit more heat and runs a bit cooler, making it a better overclocker. If you're not overclocking, it shouldn't mean much to you at all -- your stock cooler should keep it stable at stock speeds.

ok so which on of those is my ? it says 6FB in cpu-z
thanks

Download the lastest version of cpu-z. In the right most column right above the instructions list it should say: Revision - G0 or B3.

Different processors can have different steppings. If you don't have a Q6600, then it may not be G0 or B3 (I couldn't find where you mentioned yourself as having one so... yea). Some other processors have G0 and B3 steppings, but they're of the same family (I think all the Q6xxx have them).

ok, so that was on a boxed Q6600 .. what about on an OEM Q6600

nice so i got G0

Back