q6600 worth it if im not ocing?

rcf1987

2[H]4U
so ima upgrade my rig one more time before building a new one and was wondering is the q6600 worth it if your not ocing (prolly gonna grab a used one off the forums). i was looking at a q8400 for 150$ at the local compusa but my board down clocks memory when using 1333 fsb chips. I just cant play anything with this e5200 even at 3ghz games lag i know its the cpu cause when i run it at stock it lags WAY more. I see that ppl with similar setups getting way better performance with better cpus. I was gonna OC and i might a tad but nothing like the 3ghz+ q6600s i see all time.

When do you plan to build a new rig?

i would say dont waste any more money on socket 775 at all, wait and save, you will be happier in the end

Q6600 can be had for $100 used on craigslist/ebay/friends, etc.

Not overclocking a Q6660 is ridiculous and a total waste. They easily goto 3.2 - 3.8GHz (depends on B3 or G0 revision).

3.0GHz on a Q6600 is a sure thing even at stock voltage.

Q6600 @ stock 2.4GHz sucks.

Q6600 can be had for $100 used on craigslist/ebay/friends, etc.

Not overclocking a Q6660 is ridiculous and a total waste. They easily goto 3.2 - 3.8GHz (depends on B3 or G0 revision).

3.0GHz on a Q6600 is a sure thing even at stock voltage.

shit if 3ghz is a sure thing then maybe ill grab a good ocing one. im gonna upgrade for sure cant wait for a year (about how much longer i want this rig to last) and i wanna know my best option

Take it from someone who's owned a G0 Q6600; 3ghz is NOT a sure thing on stock voltage! However; I'd say it IS a sure thing if you bump it a little. My Q6600 was voltage hungry to hit even 3.2 and I would only do 3.3 for benchmarking purposes because it ran so damn hot. Granted every chip is different and it seems I had one of the worse ones. It all balanced out when I got a 920 that barely needed a bump to run 3.8 and was comfortable hitting 4.1 for benches :)

To answer your question though: If you're not overclocking I would definitely NOT recommend a Q6600. 2.4 is too slow nowadays for modern games, even if it is a quad core. However; if you're overclocking it a Q6600 is decent, you may be able to find a Q9550 or 8400 for not much more though if you look hard enough, and those will overclock a bit easier being 45nm chips vs the 65 the Q6600 is.

I did 3.3 on a Q6600 with the stock heatsink, though it was a bit toasty.

Take it from someone who's owned a G0 Q6600; 3ghz is NOT a sure thing on stock voltage! However; I'd say it IS a sure thing if you bump it a little. My Q6600 was voltage hungry to hit even 3.2 and I would only do 3.3 for benchmarking purposes because it ran so damn hot. Granted every chip is different and it seems I had one of the worse ones. It all balanced out when I got a 920 that barely needed a bump to run 3.8 and was comfortable hitting 4.1 for benches :)

To answer your question though: If you're not overclocking I would definitely NOT recommend a Q6600. 2.4 is too slow nowadays for modern games, even if it is a quad core. However; if you're overclocking it a Q6600 is decent, you may be able to find a Q9550 or 8400 for not much more though if you look hard enough, and those will overclock a bit easier being 45nm chips vs the 65 the Q6600 is.

cant use 1333mhz fsb chips on the board i have it downclocks the memory

Here is a question- why not? If it's only $100, I'd say get one, use it for a while, then sell it when you're done with it.

I'm still running mine at 3.4ghz and I haven't been processor limited in any games I throw at it. Hot as hell, though. I have it on a 2x120 radiator by itself and it pumps out the heat.

I do sometimes consider giving up a little performance and switching to a 45w amd quad core, but the cost to do that switch doesn't justify the benefits, methinks.

Do you have the board + ram already? Then go for it. If not, then buy something newer, IMHO.

With that being said, I use mine @ stock just fine. I love it.

My q6600 does 3.0 on stock voltage and is perfectly stable (I actually use this setting in hot summer months). I use a lapped true with some silver paste to keep it cool. I have tried everything I can imagine to get this cpu to 3.7ghz but there is some wall there that I cannot break down, and I've tried on two separate boards.

3.0ghz - 1.2 (stock vcore)
3.2ghz - 1.25v
3.6ghz - 1.4v

I just put a new Q9300 into my aging 775 rig, along with 4g of extra ram and an SSD. For ~400, it was a huge upgrade and will easily keep me satisfied until Sandy Bridge is affordable. Then I'll have 2 nice computers :cool:

Get it only if you will overclock it. I had a Q6700 @ 3.3 Ghz up until last month and it was more than adequate running BC2. I was not planning on replacing it for another year, but then my kids PC crapped out so I passed it down to them.

I'm still running my Q6600 rig and it's still as great as it was when I first got it. I ran it at 3 GHz for a while, and then got the itch to overclock it higher. I was eventually running it at 3.2 GHz on a Hyper 212+ (which is horrible for the q6600 btw). I bought a Venomous X and now I've been pushing it further on lower temps. I can hit 3.6 GHz with it, but the temps hit the low 70's (perhaps my paste application is mediocre). I say get a bad ass cooler like the Venomous X and push it to 3.2 GHz+ and you should be happy, at least until Sandy Bridge. I know I'm happy with mine still, and I'll be sitting at 3 years on this processor come January.

My Q6600 is a VERY old B3 stepping (one of the first ones to get produced) and easily hits 3ghz at stock volts. With a little extra juice I run mine at 3.2ghz for daily use. If you have the mobo and RAM already, and can find a Q6600 for like 100 bucks its totally worth it. Mine is over three years old now (I got it in early 2007) and I think I can probably easily squeeze another year or two of service life out of this system. If I didn't game I imagine it would last even longer.

At stock speed it sucks. I ran mine at 3.6 most of the time. Got it up to 3.83. I ended up with a Q9550 that I run at 4.0. It is actually hard to tell the difference. With a good cooler and some quality RAM you should be able to get decent speeds out of one.

Back