Q6600 won't get past 3.0ghz

johnrhance

n00b
I've been overclocking my Q6600 recently, but I seem to have hit a wall. I can't get it to post past 333x9 (3.0ghz) and it isn't stable at that speed. Here's a picture of my bios settings to be sure I'm right: http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/johnrhance/settings.jpg

I thought maybe I should up the voltage to the CPU, but I'm not exactly sure which option that is in this menu: http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/johnrhance/volts.jpg
So what option do I need to change to raise the voltage? If that doesn't work, did I just get a bad chip? I'm on a DFI Lanparty P35 and currently using the stock Intel heatsink. I'll buy a better heatsink when I know this chip will get past 3.0ghz.

CPU VTT is your core

boot into windows and run CPU -Z to see what your voltage is under usage though..

what about your ram, do you have that manually set or auto.?
\
personally, with the stock intel heat sink i would NOT add more voltage - the cooler just cant handle it, you should invest in a 3rd party heatsink that can handle the heat.

yes check cpuz and load down the cores with prime 95 or some other stressful cpu application that will load all cores 100%. You will notice a slight voltage drop in your cpu voltage, also known as vdroop.

you want to bump up your voltage in small increments until you can boot into windows and run orthos for ~1hr just to check basic basic stability. once you are satisified with your cpu speed, you can run orthos longer, at least 8 hrs to ensure system stablity.

the q6600 is a pretty warm chip, so be SURE to moniter your temps as you increase voltage and speed. especially with a stock intel cooler.

i will highly recommend you upgrade your cooling solution if you plan to keep 3Ghz and above on your q6600 24/7

In Windows, CPU-Z reports my voltage as 1.296 and I have it set to be 1.31. I manually set the ram to be a little slower because I figured it wouldn't be stable at over 800mhz. I plan on adding an aftermarket cooler, probably the AC7, but only if I can at least get this chip stable over 3.0ghz. If I can't, I'll just save the money and run it at stock or near stock speeds. I'm about to do the Prime95 full stress, but I'm going to post this now since it will probably give me a BSOD. Oh and my current temps are between 37-40 at idle at 3.0ghz right now.

Okay I ran Prime95 for a few minutes and ended up with a temp of 60c and a voltage of 1.264. What should I do now?

I just realized that changing the CPU VTT setting doesn't seem to actually changed my vcore. Perhaps I should try a different setting?

Well I ran Prime95 all night at stock speed and didn't get an error. At least I know my chip is stable at that speed. I'm going to move it up to 2.5ghz and test it some more.

I think your v-core is too low. The lowest v-core setting on my IP-35E is 1.325. That setting usually gets me to 3.0 without any additional changes. Start there and make sure your ram voltage is set to the manufacturer's spec.

To be honest, I think I'm changing the wrong setting and not actually the vcore. Can you look at the picture in my 1st post and tell me which setting is the vcore?

looking from the picture, it might be that cpu voltage special add.

could you select that option and take another picture wiht what comes up?

it maybe the option to increase your CPU VID voltage, which will effectively increase your CPU core voltage.

okay so it looks like maybe you have to use this option to increase your Cpu VID.

try increasing it by 25mV and read actual vpu voltage through CPUz. does it go up? if so then this is the option you need to use to increase cpu voltage to gain stability.

I increased it by 25mV like you said, and I think it worked! CPU-Z now reads it as 1.312 instead of the 1.296 like before. I wonder how far I'll need to up to to run stable at 3.0ghz. Trial and error right?

yea definately take small steps, increase by ~12.5-25mV at a time until you get orthos stable for ~8hrs minimum.

then you can go out and buy a heatsink for that chip before it burns up lol.

Haha well I guess I'll have to buy one now. What if I do get it to run at, say 3.4ghz stable, and it's only running at 50c idle? Would I still need to buy another cooler?

50c idle is okay, not great but okay.

what is load temp? thats the one tahts important. personally i like to keep it below 70C but other people may prefer higher/lower max temps.

Right now it's about 59c-62c. I'm going to up it to 3.0 and raise the vcore until its stable for at least a few minutes. I'll leave the test running when I go to bed tonight too.

Back