• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

q6600 vs q9400

static21

Gawd
Joined
Aug 1, 2004
Messages
524
i was looking to upgrade my e6750 to a quad without upgrading my mb/ram as well.
I notice the 9400 has less cache, is that going to kill performance at all? Mostly gaming... I do plan on overclocking it, my current cpu has been at 3.6ghz for 2 years, and I'd like to keep it there.
Or would anybody recommend the 9550? if so why?
 
9550 all the way, but only if you can get one for the $170 Microcenter price. Of the two you listed I'd get the q6600 over the 9400 for overclocking purposes.
 
There are no microcenters around me. I did however find a q9450 on craigs for 165, so no tax. Does that sound like a deal? I cant find the price on a 9450 anywhere
 
Q9450 died an quick death. Great chip from what I hear though. There are a couple on ebay claiming NIB (which I seriously doubt, unless they've been in a closet/warehouse for a couple of years) for 235 and 375. A used one is currently at ~100. Also check prices on the X3350, that's the Xeon version of the 9450.
 
Alright, the q9450 deal fell through. I did find a 9400 on craigs though. Let me put it this way. q6600 vs q9400 both running at 3.6. Whats better?
 
They're about the same. The Q9400 will run cooler and a bit slower in some cache dependent games and apps. Pretty much a toss-up...I say get whichever is cheaper/find first for a good price.
 
Q9400 might be able to clock higher, but I'd take the extra cache (Q6600, Q9450, Q9550, et alia) every time. Shame the Q9450 didn't work out.
 
I wouldn't pay too much for a Q6600. People seem to charge quite a bit for a used one and as far as overclocking goes it's a craps shoot. Most of these chips don't clock like the early G0s. They also run much hotter than a q9400. Most of the benches that I have seen show the 45nm chips being a hair faster clock for clock while using less power. Keep in mind that it's really only a 1MB per die difference in cache between the two chips.
 
I've got Q6700 and a Q9450 and the Q9450 rocks. The Q6700 isn't bad but I'm sure the extra cache makes the difference. Not really a gamer here, mostly encode with both computers, but I can see more speed with the Q9450 in most apps.

Enjoy your new Quad.
 
Back
Top