• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 vs Q9300

blazingoat

n00b
Joined
Mar 24, 2008
Messages
15
Should I get the Q6600 or the Q9300 for my new system? Looking for best price to performance with over-clocking on air. I use this rig mostly for video editing, encoding, multitasking etc. (not much gaming).

I'm going to pull the trigger on a new mobo and CPU this weekend. Probably going with the Abit IP35 Pro. Here's a thread where I describe in more detail my upgrades: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1032270810#post1032270810

thanks!
 
..you're asking *again which you should get? I thought the "get the 6600" answer that you were given was pretty clear.
 
The Q9300 is probably marginally faster than the Q6600, but considering that the Q9300 is $300 from Newegg and the Q6600 is $200 from Microcenter, the Q6600 must surely win in the price-performance stakes. It's also easier to overclock, with the higher multiplier, and there's that previously mentioned problem about DDR2-800MHz RAM only getting you to 3GHz.
 
Q6600 hands down. If you're OCing, the higher multiplier will be very beneficial. Price/performance it can't be beat by any of the Quads IMO (though that may change when we start seeing big cuts on the Q6700).
 
I choose the Q9300 for a couple of Reasons,

Uses less Power, should save you the cost of the Processor over 3 years.

SSE4, the 9300 destroys the Q6600 in SSE4 Apps, although there arent many now, in the next year or so there should be a lot of them.

Clock for Clock, the 9300 is faster, if you can manage 466fsb, you get 3.5ghz, that should be faster than a Q6600 at 3.6 or 3.7ghz.. Getting a G0 Stable at 3.6 is a really "luck of the draw"... But I guess getting your FSB at 466 is too.. So I consider the OC a "Draw" at this time..

All things considered, with a $300 CPU Budget, I went with the Q9300.

Either one is great though.
 
Yeah, I am waiting for one of the higher up ones with a bit larger multiplier. Seems the Q9450 only has a 8x or 8.5x (can't remember).
 
Back
Top