q6600 vs FX-4100

The FX would be faster although the Q6600 has a better IPC the FX has a lot of clock advantage to make up for its 7% or so IPC disadvantage.
 
Remember that the q6600 is a good overclocker, very easy depending on motherboard even for the casual overclocker.
 
However it has a 2.4GHz stock frequency and the FX4100 has a 3.6GHz stock / 3.8GHz turbo.

It may be possible to get the Q6600 to a frequency where it is about as fast as the FX4100 at stock but not when you overclock the FX. This should be expected. I mean the q6600 is now over 5 years old trying to compete with a processor that came out in the last quarter.
 
the 4100 is horrible. i would not put it past the q66000 to be faster at all especially when overclocked a bit.

sometimes i forget how bad the bd's really were, then i go back and read some benchmarks, such as the new fx-6200 getting trounced by a stock 1100t...

http://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/review/2012-04-03/skyrim.png <<just one tiny example of the awfulness that is BD...6 core 3.8 ghz bd beaten by a last gen phenom quad core at a slower clock. and it's not just one benchmark trust me.
 
The FX-4100 is essentially a dual-core CPU (it performs like an i3) so they'd be roughly equal.
If you're upgrading I would advise against it, however if you're getting a new system I'd go with the Bulldozer just because the platform is newer.
(oh lord, did I just recommend a Bulldozer to someone??)
 
The FX-4100 is essentially a dual-core CPU (it performs like an i3) so they'd be roughly equal.
If you're upgrading I would advise against it, however if you're getting a new system I'd go with the Bulldozer just because the platform is newer.
(oh lord, did I just recommend a Bulldozer to someone??)



LOL I was going to recommend the AMD Phenom II X6 1045T over the Bulldozer :p
 
Its just for a friend, he just don't have much to spend. Well I found a q9550 on CL for $100 so I'll get that !
 
Q9550 is what I would reccomend if you had asked what else in that range. In fact, I may be doing the upgrade from Q6600 to Q9550 just to keep from a new build for another year. (Happy with gaming for now - mostly BF 3)
 
Back
Top